• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no fan,signals,wipers w/new ign switch

xtp45lc

NAXJA Forum User
I had been writing about key/switch,interlock problems-I believe this should be a new thread as I seem to have been dancing around the real problem...
88 wag limited-lost signals,fan,radio and key tumbler felt wobbly.replaced tumbler and ign switch.had signals,etc. but key wouldnt turn after placed in lock. today I realized my book and instructions supplied with ign switch were differant and re"timed" switch to key position...now the key works better but I agian have no wipers,signals,etc!!! plugs seem secure. thanks for any ideas or help you may have-got snow comming tommorow and need those wipers and fan if nothing else!

I wish I could help you, but I just replaced my Ignition Switch, not the Key switch on my 94' and I cannot get the wiper/blower/rear defrost to stop working with or without the key.

I assume when you changed the "key" ignition switch, you replaced the other ignition switch? I think I am correct on the the 88 that there are two, as in the 94...

I replaced both,yes-the thing the key goes in,and the switch on top of the column-it seems to me,in theory; that if the switch is able to tell the shifter that the key is unlocked,and the starter to turn over that the fan,wipers,etc should get power somewere in between at least...I am going to dig in the trash in the morning to find the old ign switch.I'd like to break it apart and see how it works.doing searches has told me that theese same items seem to fail as a group with ign switch problems,but nothing beyond that-maybe someone with a factory manual could look and see if it tells more?

If it's the same as a '90, the blower, rear wiper, turn/back up lamps, radio, cigarette lighter, radio/clock illumination, and low washer fluid lamp get power when the ignition switch is in the run or accessory position.

Don't know if this will help or not but I had the same problem in my 95. Lost my radio, wipers, blower, etc. Found two broken wires on the connector to the ignition switch. The wiring harness for the ignition switch runs up the bottom of the column and then takes a hard right and snaps into the ignition switch. Years of using tilt steering pulled on the wiring harness and eventually broke the wiring off from the connector. Repaired the wires and problem fixed. Sorry I don't have the service manual in front of me or I could tell you what wires they were.

OK-I THINK it's fixed! I found that in re-timing the switches, the wire for all those things came out(the brown one for referance). I also found that the rod at the shift interlock in the column was binding agianst the ign switch rod-it seemed to be broke up in there and popped out with a spring when I was messing around with it-maybe I broke it?at any rate it is no longer hooked up and the key no longer gets stuck. so,assuming it all works when the column is back in place,I'm going down the road agian! thanks

Back