• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep going to sit for 4 months, what should I do?

ebxjbob

NAXJA Forum User
Wasn't able to sell my Jeep so now its going to have to sit for 4 months while i'm out of the country

What, if anything, should I do to it before I park it?

I know I need to disconnect the battery but how much gas should I leave in it ETC?

When I return what should I do before I start it for the first time?

Never had a situation like this before

TIA

I have left jeeps sitting for that long with no problems. the only thing I had to do when I wanted to start driving it again was jump the battery and then let the alternator charge it up. I would think the gas would be fine in only 4 mmonths but if you want to you could always add some stabill to make you feel better.

Four months is not an extremely long time, but just incase your time away is extended I would recommend the following:

I have heard that it is best to let it sit with a full tank of fuel, and a locking gas cap (less chance of condensation and stolen fuel). You may also want to consider putting it on blocks (tires up off the ground), and covering the entire Jeep, including tires. Leave the AC vents open (in a an XJ leave knob in "vent" position) so the interior can still breathe. Squirt some WD-40 in all your keyholes and hinges. Remove your windshield wiper blades, and put a note to self in cab so you remember to re-install (may scratch windows if ya don’t and attempt use with out them). If you remove the battery, place it on a block of wood in a cool dry place. Something else to consider is changing your oil and filter when ya get back. Good luck and hope you come back in good health.

putting it up on stands isnt necessary if you have radials, but it is a good idea if you have bias ply. ive had radial s sit in the same place for years, and pretty much if you check the air and make them the same, then drive them for 10 minutes, they'll be fine, flatspotting is really only a problem with bias and they;ll thump if you do not lift it up. causing added stress and possibly damaging other components.

also lots of people say different things about what you should put in your doorlocks, i can tell you many things work (like triflo and graphite) but the best thing is liquid lock deicer, as it contains the proper type and amount lube for your lock, and any excess evaporates.

I just came back from sea a week ago...after 4 months, my +192,000 mile 91 w/ cracked block started up just fine...didn't even disconnect the battery. :)

Full tank of gas with either Stabil, Seafoam or some type of gas stabilizer. Run the Jeep after you have put in the Stabil so that it circulates. You don't want to take the chance on varnish starting when it is something so easily prevented!

Then change the oil and filter, yank the battery and you should be good to go. 4 months really isn't that long.

did anyone read where he is from? Pull the batery, put it somewhere it won't freeze. Or just fock it, and buy a new one when you get back.

I ran a self storage property for 4 years...many cars stored there during the winter for 4 months...some outside...some inside...all of them started with a good battery, and drove away with no hesitation or fuel related problems.
We did have one customer find a mouse nest in his glove compartment...but he admitted he thinks it was there before he parked it on the property, because he had noticed some signs of activity (paper debris) but did not look into it before he parked it!

agreed about the stabil. I swear by that stuff. It does an amazing job and it acts as a carb/injector cleaner too. Looks to me like erverybody pretty much has you covered on storage. :cheers:

I store my summer car (and my XJ for the first time) for about 6-8 months and never had problems. My car sleep for 8 months every winter and I just plug the battery and started it when i got out. Just make sure you have at least half of the tank. Winter are so long in Quebec :(

Alrighty seems like it won't be that big of a deal which is cool, its also going to be in a garage so that should help

Thanks for all the responses

Back