• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

greasing krawler joints

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I've tried searching, and I find a ton of threads that say you should grease them up really good before installation. thats great and all, but none of them actually describe taking the joint apart to grease it. does anyone have a link or anything for how to take the joints apart without damaging anything?

Its very easy.... Just unscrew one of the sides of the joint. Sometimes use a little heat just to warm the area where the outer locks thread in. Dont get carried away.... you just want to soften all thread lock that was applied at assembly. Once one side is apart you can just knock the center piece and 1 side bushing out with a soft hammer......wha la its apart!
Grease up & reassemble using loc-tite threadlock...

stoneattic said:
I have zerks in mine. No need to dissemble.

RK actually shipped mine with only one zerk, but that's no trouble. People have often complained about the zerks being to small to be effective, resulting in clunking in the front end, which is my main concern. I just wanna make sure I grease them good.

mattyj said:
Its very easy.... Just unscrew one of the sides of the joint. Sometimes use a little heat just to warm the area where the outer locks thread in. Dont get carried away.... you just want to soften all thread lock that was applied at assembly. Once one side is apart you can just knock the center piece and 1 side bushing out with a soft hammer......wha la its apart!
Grease up & reassemble using loc-tite threadlock...

thanks for the help, I figured it was that simple, but I didnt want tear up a bushing or ruin some threads. I guess the guts of the krawler joint are very similar to the parts they supply for the UCA joint on the axle?

NCCherokee said:
thanks for the help, I figured it was that simple, but I didnt want tear up a bushing or ruin some threads. I guess the guts of the krawler joint are very similar to the parts they supply for the UCA joint on the axle?

Yep.... you got it!

i was able to get them apart without heating the joints, took a little elbow grease though. they really are simple pieces though, not much too them. I wish my camera was taking a shit on me, and i'd get some pics so this topic isn't brought up again.

NCCherokee said:
i was able to get them apart without heating the joints, took a little elbow grease though. they really are simple pieces though, not much too them. I wish my camera was taking a shit on me, and i'd get some pics so this topic isn't brought up again.

They come with loc-tite on the retainer threads and they recommend you use it as well. BTW, Rock Krawler is real good about answering questions on the phone, at least that's been my experience.

NCCherokee said:

haha!

i just greased mine up with the zirks no clunking at all and they all seem tight though the jams nuts are always loose!

Back