• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Question

ashoemak

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum so i thought I would start it off with a radiator post. I got my system pressure tested today and found out that the radiator is leaking out of the passenger side. Started looking around at different threads and have a few questions...

1) Is it worth it to spend a little extra and get a 3 core (some might say heavy duty) over a 2 core? I live in Colorado and do mostly mountain trails.

2) Does anyone have any suggestions on a good radiator? I would like to keep it around $200 or less if possible.

3) If I were to buy a radiator from a place like RadiatorBarn, would I need to buy anything else or would the radiator come with everything? (Radiator cap, draincock, etc.)

4) Finally, I'm going to replace the upper and lower hoses, but is there anything else I should look at while I'm doing this?

Thanks so much for you help!!

Radiator.com offers the 3 Core GDI radiator for under $200 and in some areas can get the radiator to you the same day you order it. I got mine the same day here in Roswell, GA. I replaced the thermostat and thermostat housing seal just for good measure too. And even though im sure this is pretty obvious but you will need a couple jugs of the 50/50 mix radiator fluid.

What kind of shape are your heater hoses in ? One word of advice if you replace heater hoses after removeing heater hose take a sharp knife and carefully cut hose were they attach to core. You could possible break off heater core fittings.

I like Performance Radiator. They sell a very good two row, it's aluminum and plastic since the price of copper is pretty high. I have one in my 90, it cools well.

I've yet to find an aftermarket lower radiator hose that has the wire coil in it like the OEM hose.

Fred

You don't need the coil in the lower hose.

As AC Delco described it to me, the new construction of the hoses does not require it.

It is only required today for "universal fit" hoses that do not have molded bends.

Blaine B. said:
You don't need the coil in the lower hose.

As AC Delco described it to me, the new construction of the hoses does not require it.

It is only required today for "universal fit" hoses that do not have molded bends.
If you put an OEM Jeep bottom hose in, without the spring, it can suck flat. Depends on the hose and how hard it is.
I have a OEM bottom in the garage now, that takes ounces of pressure to flatten not pounds. If you can flatten it with two fingers, put the spring in.

That doesn't make any sense, you can flatten anything with two fingers.

The origional rad hoses in my XJ didn't have a spring. Yes, they compressed easier than the new hoses I got.

But I never had a problem with them sucking shut.

Back