• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit locker slamming my Transmission

Overdriven

NAXJA Member #1020
I did some searching and found that it was normal for the driveshaft to turn a 1/4 turn when engaged between forward and reverse. My question is that my XJ slams into forward and reverse, and I mean slams. My whole Jeep convulses... Is this going to do any damage to my transmission? When this first started happening I blamed my transmission till someone pointed out how much my driveshaft rotates before engaging. Anything I can do to soften the blow.

88XJ, 4.0, Auto, D44, New this weekend is the 4.56's and Detroit locker inthe D44.

Thanks y'all.

How are your motor and tran mounts? With the new gears you may be torquing things around pretty well. If they are worn (read: shot like mine were) you will get exagerated movement when changin fron D to R etc.

Check your ujoints too. You may have excess slack that is being exagerated with the lower gears, not necessarily the Detroit.

HTH

i beleive your symptoms are backlash??? it happens to mine also after i installed the powertrax in the 8.25, i called powertrax and they said thats to be expected?

It is a built in safety function...the SLAM!!!! scares animals and small children so they will get out of the way....J/K!!!! Mine does it too...get used to it.

Mine does it too. I even took the cover back off because I thought something was messed up. I have gotten used to it.

idk, maybe a different torque converter might help this problem?? higher lock up in the trans. ?? yeah though, i know it take a certain amount of preload before the locker engages (ie 1/4 turn) but if the trans lockup could be put higher up, it might stop it from slamming so bad. ???

You think it's bad with an auto, try it with a 5spd. Damned detroit scares the bejeebus out of me sometimes

I added some lucas treatment to the tranny (drained about a quart of tranny fluid out first), and that helped alot. Maybe it's making everything run a little slower in the tranny. I just hoping this isn't doing any damage to my transmission.

Thanks for the responses.

I love the rear Detroit. It's nasty. Noisey. Bumpy. Slammy. Clunky. Just down right sexy! My XJ not only slams when dumped in gear, it raises up the suspension a good 2" as the slack is taken out of everything. Oh Yeah.

Overdriven said:
I added some lucas treatment to the tranny (drained about a quart of tranny fluid out first), and that helped alot. Maybe it's making everything run a little slower in the tranny. I just hoping this isn't doing any damage to my transmission.

Thanks for the responses.

Had a full detroit in the back of my '72 blazer (Corp14) for years. The way the locker works creates what appears to be excessive backlash - this is completely normal. This shouldn't cause any issues for you when it comes to your trans...but (and there's always a but) you will have premature drive-shaft u-joint failure/wear. This "slop" has to be absorbed somewhere and, in most cases, it's the next thing in line. Keeping them greased up is really about all you can do.

Damn, you guys have me worried that my Detroit is not normal now! It has made no noises at all and makes no sound when engaging the transmission either and only a little chirp from the tyres lets me know t is there on tight corners? I have brand new 4.56's in ( with only 32's ) and new driveshafts and engine mounts too so maybe that still has something to do with it along with a auto and a smooth driving style?

There is something to be said about an automatic tranny and a smooth
driving style, Marcus. Detroits are your friend in a wheeled XJ. Enjoy the
Detroit and it's small idiosyncracies.

I installed a lock right in the front and a powertrax no slip in the rear and I get the same thing in mine...I never cared before...and well..I still don't :D...is this the small price i have to pay because other than this, I don't even know the lockers are there...that no slip sure was worth the extra $150 bucks! very very very smooth operation! I have found that when going from park to drive or reverse if i'm not so hard on the brakes, it helps alot!

Sean

Back