• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Click on start, jumped solenoid and still get click. Time for new starter?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep wouldnt start today, I tried everything, added grounds, cleaning terminals, and neutral start.

After about 20 tries I got it to crank twice so I finally tried to wack the starter with a BFH and that did ntohing. Then I jumped the little post on the solenoid to the battery and got the same loud ass click.

Do I need a new solenoid? Or is the starter and solenoid one unit that needs to be replaced?

What tools will I need to do this? IE: Socket sizes?

The jeep is currently at college :tears:

Thanks guys!

replace the whole starter. The solenoid is usually about 70% of the price anyway, and yes that is your problem. socket is like a 13 or 14, and you will need a small one for the connections.

also, if you have a newer car or truck, hammering the starter will not do anything but break it. Newer starters uses permanent magnets instead of field windings

I had to replace my starter for my '99 back in October. Unfortunately on the later XJ models the starter and solenoid are 1 unit where the older ones like pre-97 are separate units. If all its doing is just clicking once when u turn the key its the starter. They slowly die usually u get lucky if u can start it 1 more time and it typically whirls. Then it goes. I recommend getting an Autolite starter it's really nice and has a very high cranking torque, also easy to install, with lifetime warranty and like 2 yr roadside assistance. It was $159.99 at checker with the $15 core charge so just bring the old one back in to get that $15 deposit back. If you have the '99 the p/n is A5156. I got almost 90k miles out of my stock chrysler starter which is pretty good. The autolite man though makes it start in less than a second due to the high cranking torque. It's definitely a very nice starter unit. Like I said ez to install 2 bolts. :)

if by one unit you mean the solenoid is bolted to the starter you are correct, but all cherokee starters are like that. You have to go way back to find a cherokee with a fender mounted solenoid. I work at a parts store, and almost every person who buys just a solenoid comes back in an hour later, and buys the whole unit. It is seldom if ever worthwhile to replace just the solenoid on a jeep

Its just not worth removing the starter to replace a 35$ solenoid. You can get a starter for 70$ at Advance that comes with a 1 year replacement warranty. But if you can afford it, buy a new unit (like someone said) like autolite. But if you don't need a new starter, save some money and get a reman.

Sorry guys, should have stated. Its a 96 cherokee.

I called around and the cheapest I found was $80 with a $20 core charge. Ill be picking one up tonight and replacing it in the parking lot at school tomorrow. Its nice having a Jeep thats lifted. No need for a jack :)

My stock starter has about 130k on it and is COATED in grime. I guess it was just a mater of time. I have put 15k on my XJ and only had issues with the TPS and now the starter in over a year of use. I love my Jeep :)

Thanks!

Mine was coated really bad too. Was like here ya guys go nice and dirty old starter to rebuild and resell lol. Wow 130k nice I thought I had the record almost 90k lol. Btw yeah I did mean 1 unit (bolted on solenoid). Good luck with your installation tomorrow. Wasn't too bad to replace. :)

I got 190k out of mine, I replaced it cause it was having trouble starting, but I ened up replacing the fuel pump in the end, starter was probably ok

Jus got back from the attempted install. No luck. I brought sockets for the terminals on the new starter and I assumed the old terminal nuts would be the same size.

Anyone know fo sure what size the nuts are?

That combined with it was gusting up to 30mph and I have a wrist brace wasn't such a good time. I did manage to get the old starter out though, I just couldnt replace it. :soapbox:

Well I brought the whole box, installed the new starter and I get the same exact thing!

I even tried to jump the solenoid again and I get the same damn click. I brought the battery home to throw it on the charger and the charger says its at 13v but I still put it on a trickle IDK what else to do!

is the click coming from the engine bay or from the steering column. And were there any shims on the old starter? Dit you mount it correctly and tighten the boults enough?

if you dont get it on just right it could still not engage the flywheel properly and click at you. ALso try cleaning all the terminals and such

I cleaned the terminals with a metal brush and the clicking is coming right from the solenoid again. I even tried running a ground from the starter housing to the negative terminal.

Then I tried jumping the little post on the solenoid and got that click.

you need to get a voltmeter and test the battery output(load test) while trying to start and to test voltage at the solinoid and starter.

Usually a low battery will either cause no sounds, or many fast repeating clicks.

Could take the starter back to the store and ask them to test it, could be faulty unfortunatley.

Back