• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shortest crank position sensor life?

SLOB

NAXJA Forum User
I've been chasing problems in my '00 XJ. I've replaced timing chain, idle air control valve, crank position sensor, all 4 O2 sensors,spark plugs(they werent that old, but swapped from NGK to the champion truck plugs I've seen recomended here) and all the fuel injectors.

anyways, this weekend I replaced the leaking radiator and added a tranny cooler, when I tried to pull it out of the garage it wouldnt start. I had fuel pressure, couldnt tell if the injectors were firing, pulled the coil pack and installed the old plugs to test it for spark (clamped two metal rods on either side of the plugs and grounded the rods with jumper cables) no spark. I swapped in my old crank pos. sensor and they sparked, reinstalled the coil pack and it fired up.

the sensor had less than 50 miles on it!!! is that a record?

Well it wasn't my CPS but I had the same problem for about a month. I would go to leave from work and would get it to crank but no start. I finally figured out that the ignition coil and module were going bad almost everyday. I would have to take it back and exchange it for a new one. After about the 5th or sith time of being on the tow, I went to the junk yard and picked like 5 stock ones up, and I havent had a problem since....

89xj said:
why a new timing chain and injectors on an 2000?
178,000 miles and problems service mechanics couldnt trace.......flashing check engine light while on no/low load conditions. one mechanic said the vacume was fluctuating, but not low. thought it could be timing chain slack/slap. the old chain did have over twice the play of the new one.

someone here mentioned a flashing check engine light that was a stuck injector, I thought 178,000 miles would be enough to try replacements.

I havent driven it long enough to see a difference since the new injectors.....only about 4 miles on them so far.

mine has the 2 Cats right off the exhaust manifolds, anyone know of a source for replacements? according to alldatadiy.com info the 2 cats right off the manifold were only for cali emissions...is this right? what about headers for an '00? I see them listed for wranglers but not XJ.

sorry i cant help with the cps other than you sometimes get bad parts right from the box or when doing the work you some how shorted some thing out and caused the cps to go bad.

im curious to see how the timing chain swap effected it. so you say the new chain had less slop? i know the cpu should take care of the slop by adjusting the timing, but i would think a fresh new chain would certainly help with how it runs.

Back