• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 gears, big problem.

zombiexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i got a set of 4.56 gears, have a chryco 8.25, and a dana 30. the problem i am having is now that i have the new ring gear on the carrier, i cant get the slide pin out because it runs into the teath on the ring gear. i need to take the pin out obiviously because i need to put my c-clips back in. does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can do? has anyone ever run into this problem? am i just being an idiot because this is my first time? please help!!

:wow:

In the instructions form yukon it states that one toth might need to be ground down in order to instal pin . Check Yukon's web site , it is listed in there under instal instructions

I have 4.56 in my 8.25 and I just ground down the 3 teeth that are in the way just enough so I could manover the pin in and out.

That's so ghetto to have to grind the teeth down to remove/install the pin. :dunce:

JJacobs said:
If you keep it in mind when installing the ring gear, you can usually bolt the ring on in such a way that you only have to grind one tooth.

There isn't any way to orient the ring gear so you can fit the pin in between 2 teeth? (never done this specific install, didn't have to do any grinding putting 3.73's in my 8.8 rear on my mustang)

No- you're always going to have to grind a little bit somewhere, but you can minimize it.

It's no big deal to the gearset because of the way hypoid gears engage- just part of the fun w/ 8.25's.

sunburned said:
There isn't any way to orient the ring gear so you can fit the pin in between 2 teeth? (never done this specific install, didn't have to do any grinding putting 3.73's in my 8.8 rear on my mustang)
If you take the time to line the gear up with the cross pin you will only have to grind one tooth, same as 4.56's in a Ford 8.8(I know from gearing my Mustangs and a 8.8 that is now under a ZJ)

before you grind a gear, go to summit and look up the 8.25 cross pin and read the instructions on how to install it before the ring gear, then turn it after you get your c clips on. I ground a gear on mine, now i have a howl sometimes.

rmm727 said:
If grinding a tooth on the ring gear bothers you, buy the notched cross pin from richmond.
The notched cross pins are not made for the shock loads placed on them by large tires and rocks, they are fine for drag strip lauches though.

not Ghetto at all.
but don't grind 1 tooth. flip it around to the other side and you get away with only grinding a small tip on 2 teeth. I've done lots of 8.25's and I've never had or heard of a problem brought on by grinding the tip of a ring gear tooth.
and notched pins won't work in an 8.25 with some lockers.

Rawbrown said:
not Ghetto at all.
but don't grind 1 tooth. flip it around to the other side and you get away with only grinding a small tip on 2 teeth. I've done lots of 8.25's and I've never had or heard of a problem brought on by grinding the tip of a ring gear tooth.
and notched pins won't work in an 8.25 with some lockers.
X10 million,Index the gear between 2 teeth and you barely have to remove any material at all.

Back