• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new here

veteransamurai

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of buying an 87 xj. The thing is pretty heavily modified, it looks like it's run quite a few trails by the dash placards. I'd like some input, if for nothing else questions I should ask about reliability issues before I decide to go ahead and buy.

Its got the origional 4.0L with 4 speed auto tranny. Theres some sort of custom switch control on this transmission, it allows you to switch between 1st and 2nd gear when the selector is in the 1-2 slot, it seems especially helpful in 4 low to stop the jerking when shifting from 1st to 2nd. This Jeep also has a 6" RE lift with adjustable Jonnie joint upper and lower control arms. I think the axles are origional, but they have ARB air lockers front and rear, and 4.56:1 gearing front and rear. wiring looks good on all connections for air locker switches, and compressor. Rear axles have moser chromoly axle shafts (unsure of spline count). Transfer case is origional but has Currie SYE and front and rear driveshafts are tome woods CV driveline.

Honestly, I dont think I will need most of the equipment this jeep is offering, at least not right away. While I like wheeling, at the moment I have neither the budget or the right group of people to go wheeling with. I do like this XJ though.. it shows some wear.. mosly on the exterior.. interior is clean, and the origional electric locks windows and seats work. This thing is from 1987, going on 21 years old now..

I guess it depends on what your gooing to use it for. If your looking for a DD, then I would probably look elsewhere. If you are looking for something to wheel, It sounds pretty good. I have an 87, and it's a pretty good rig. Newer models have a little more HP. Sounds like it has Bret's AW4 shifter. I have it also, works well. Also, what Rearend does it have in it... D35 or D44?
You are not to far away from Johnson Valley, you could have a blast out there! Your only about 5 hours away from me... I'll wheel with ya man!

What is the asking price?

i think its still got the D35, I'm not entirely sure. The first time I looked at it i was so awestruck by the abilities of the thing that i forgot to ask.

asking price is 4500... sounds steep for an 87, but with all that aftermarket i dont know

veteransamurai said:
asking price is 4500... sounds steep for an 87, but with all that aftermarket i dont know

$4500 MAY not be bad. I picked up my 87 for $700... then threw 10 grand at it in the cours of about 4 years!

I'm dead on with jrowell there.

I also run an 87. I'd happily drive it in its current state (after getting a tire replaced..) anywhere on the planet, except to work. Its strong, reliable, very durable, lets the warm air out and the water in. All the things a trail rig are supposed to be. :)

for that much money and you say your not really into wheeling, i would buy something alot newer. for $4000, you could pick up a 99 and up

dont get me wrong, i have an 89 with a lift, but ive owned the jeep since 1990 and know how to work on it when there is a problem, i can fix it. i also have a garge and alot of tools. no matter how modified or sound it is, there is alot that can go wrong with a heavily modified 18 year old vehicle and you will need to know how to fix it.

now if you know alot about jeep suspensions and have a good knowlegde of how the "renix" system works, than it sounds like a good deal.

i guess what im trying to say is, what happens when something breaks or doesnt work???

good thing is, i am a mechanic by trade. I know how do do most common repairs on most vehicles, and with NAXJA I think I have access to the people or the knowlege to troubleshoot and complete most of the less common repairs.

bad news is, i dont have my own shop... i do however have most of my own tools, and I have access to a shop only about a mile away with a full air system, welders, and something like 7 lifts.

the more i think about it, the more i want the jeep. I like wheeling... don't have the time or money at the moment to go often... but I think I would be better off with this, than trying to put that huge laundry list on a stock vehicle

got out bid on my jeep.. another guy offered full price, and the guy took it. i dont blame him, i just really liked that jeep. If it hadnt taken so long to get the loan check, it wouldnt have slipped my grasp.

luckily my supervisor has a 71 grand waggy for sale, its got dana 44s front and rear and a bjs 4" lift guess i'll be moving over to ifsja. i'll keep in touch though.

Back