• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

urgent!!ign sw rod/shift interlock? key wont turn

xtp45lc

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching,but burning daylight and need to go back out to look more-missed one day of work already and need help! last week it was way cold here and I had to force the key to turn it-felt resistance,tryed turning the wheel,pushing it "further"into park etc, and finally decided something was frozen and forced it. it has felt stiff since.last night I go to start it up and notice after it was fired up that the tumbler the key goes in was loose and I had no turn signals,fan motor or radio unless the key was in off position,when everything worked-I bought a new key and tumbler-got it in and had the same problem...bought an ignition switch-took the dash apart and was trying to see the rod going to the switch-at this point I had disconnected the shift interlock cable mount and dimmer switch on the column-tryed turning the key to watch for movement around the column but now the key wont move at all,the tumbler seems to be sucked into the column.the rod is free from the ign switch and I can see minimal movement at the key when moving the rod,but something is locked up.I drove the jeep to get the ign switch after the tumbler was installed,and it seems the key locked up when I removed the mount on the column for the shift cable-it is in lock position,yet I can shift out of park also-HELP!!!! edit to include>> I tried disconecting the shift cable at it's little ball joint connector at the column also-

Last edited:
I just went out to the jeep-tried moving the shifter-there is no movemnet of the cable at the column except for a little jerk when the shifter button is pushed-however,the key now turns-I operated the old ign switch and the new one by hand and call tell a huge differance between them and will proceed with installing it-the jeep looks like it puked all of it's wiring out from under the dash-I still love my XJ and will buy another,but times like this make me miss my old Willys jeep truck!

thanks for the downpour of help on this-something is still wrong but I can get to work tommorow it seems-

I cant understand what you are saying. Let me try to get this straight. Your Key dosnt turn? Or you cant get the key out? Lets start over and try to type slower so we can understand what the problem is. I am more than willing to help but I need the facts.

I'm sorry- let me start over...1988 wag.limited-I replaced the tumbler which worked fine until I replaced the ign switch. now I have a couple problems.1-when starting the jeep,the key no longer returns back to the run position on it's own. 2-if I turn the key to the lock position,it is stuck there. with enough pressure it will move out of lock. the problems seemed to begin when I removed the nut from the bottom of the ign switch, which holds the shift interlock(?) cable to the column.
agian,I apologize for the frantic babbling and smart ass comment also-yesterday was not a good one for me.

Ok Now first off have you taken the pressure off the lock and tried it that way? You most likely have to pull the lock out to do this. Second can you move the switch rod freely? When you say" it wont come out of lock do you mean the key doesnt pull out or you cant turn the key again. If you would like, I have a 87 Wagoneer limited. So they will be the same. I can pull it apart step by step with pics for you and we can walk through it together. I am sure it isnt a major problem just something in the wrong place. My bet is on the switch being installed incorrectly. Or the colum / wheel lock rod is jammed. Let me know. No sweat just be patiant we can get it fixed.

once in the lock position,the key/tumbler will not turn back to on,start,etc.. at lunch today I pulled the cover off the shifter and worked the interlock cable around by hand a little and then tried the key,which went in and out of the lock position fine.on the way home,I made a stop-put it in lock and it was stuck agian. after installing the tumbler and before doing the ign switch,it worked fine.I still had the orig problem of no turn signals or accesorys (unless key was "off")which led me to buying the ign switch.when the ign switch was out,the rod seemed jammed up-no movement,and the key wouldnt turn.moving the interlock cable seemed to free it up,so I proceeded with putting the new switch on. since being able to do more searching,I have learned that the cable is adjusted by disconnecting and pulling rearward? thanks very much-

Back