• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DRIVE SHAFT

dss

NAXJA Forum User
hey whats up, i had one question. i have a 88 xj lifted about 5 inches. now my question is, has anybody had their drive shaft hit the exhaust header? if yes is it becuase the diff bumpstops are not big enough or is it something else?.

its very common, and yes, bumpstops are the way to fix it.

wouldn't the amout of bumpstop required to keep the yoke out of the downpipe limit flex way too much?Maybe I don't have enough bumpstop in the front after all.......

Once you lift the driveshaft rides in the area of the down pipe that doesn't have the factory indent.
I'm at about 5.5" and have proper amounts of "bumpstopage"(lol,just had to say it again)and the ds yoke still self clearanced itself on the down pipe....after that it created a pinhole that I had to weld up and now everything is fine.

Its a little un-nerving at first,though untill it self clearances.Also make sure your front axle is centered via the trac bar adjustment because that will make the rubbing worse.Whatever the case get it fixed asap because I can see how that would contribute to a cracked header so common on these rigs....

Last edited:
Back