• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumb Question, I Searched...

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any particular trick to getting the friggin' alternator out of a '91? I have all the leads removed, the two bolts removed, the battery and tray removed, and the durn thing seems to physically not quite fit when I pull it up through the area where the batt tray goes. It rides the seperate alt bracket that's bolted to the block and the tranny cooler line rubber hose. It won't fit dropping out the bottom, there's an A/C separator and I'm not fooling with those lines.

Rapid replies greatly appreciated, as I'm wrenching on it right now and need to drive it to work tomorrow.

Thanks

I removed mine by loosening alt. bracket and dropping it through the bottom.
I did this in a blizzard earlier this month when we recieved 4ft. of snow mostly with skid in place. I have faith you can handle it.

Step away have a beer take a breath and give it another go.

Much easier to drop it out the bottom if I recall.

I agree that dropping it out the bottom is the easier way to go. I tried and tried to get mine out the top (same year '91), -with AC no less, -and gave up on that idea real quick.

They come out the bottom-side quite easily, -or should I say, "easier".

Thanks for the replies. After posting this, I said to myself, "No cotton-pickin' alternator's gonna make a fool of me!" and redoubled my efforts. I honestly couldn't see a possible way to get it out the bottom with that canister there, so I resigned myself to a top extraction. I knew the rubber of that trans cooling line would be a problem, so I grabbed a piece of 8" x 12" x .020" sheet metal off the garage rack, greased up one side of it, laid it on the fenderwell over the trans line, and just heaved the bejeesus out of the alt to get it to slip past. Reversed the process to get the new one down in there, hooked up/tightened/reinstalled everything, POW! I now can produce a charge while the engine is running! Wrapped it up and got to bed at around 10. Nothing like your alternator giving up halfway through the day on a snowy trail, driving home with the gauge flatlined, having the tach and speedo starting to cut out just as you're rounding the corner to your street. I was honestly surprised the battery had any juice left in it to crank the motor over after I reinstalled everything.

Back