• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EBrake Problems Need Help Please

mtn121

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so sometimes I forget to put the EBrake down sometimes. I have a 92 2 door, 4.0 liter 202k. My ebrake light does not work any reason for this, I think the bulb is good is there a switch or sensor or something? Also now my ebrake doesn't work anymore. What do I need to do to make the Ebrake work again, replace the shoes? Also does this mean my rear brakes are shot? Is the rear braking system 2 systems or one. I know on some cars there is one system for rear brakes and another for the ebrake. Any info would be appreciated guys thanks.

there is a wire on the master cylinder that I think has some control of the light.
the e-brake is on a cable and may need to be adjusted

Quit driving with the E-brake on!!!

If you're not sure about the bulb, it should come on when you turn the key to "start" as part of a bulb check. A simple plunger switch grounds the "brake" circuit when you lift the lever, turning the light on.

As far as the park brake itself, all you can do is pull the drums and do an inspection to see what you need. On a high mileage vehicle you could have worn out shoes, worn out drums, seized/leaking wheel cylinders, seized adjusters, well you get the picture! The rear brakes have to be adjusted properly and functioning properly for the park brake to work correctly!

Last edited:
I personally have had this issue as well--however on an 84. First I would check the wire itself by simply tracing it from the engine compartment to the rear axle area, over time (especially when driving with the ebrake engaged) the cable can stretch and not provide any brake pressure. If there is sagging/little tension on the cable WITH THE BRAKE ENGAGED, then that's most of you issue. Secondly, check your rear brakes.

I'm no expert, and I believe you have discs all the way around--I had drums in the rear. But hopefully that'll get you looking in the right direction.

Ed

Back