• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble removing Harmonic Balancer

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Seem to have a frozen bolt holding the balancer on. This is the first time i have experienced this.

The balancer is original and has ~270K on it. Any suggestions? It's been sprayed with PB for a few days.

I appreciate the reply, but i'm not having trouble pulling the balancer (not yet anyway). I have the Jeep in gear with parking brake set, using a bolt through the balancer w/screwdriver method ( as described in a Chiltons) and still cant break the bolt loose going into the crank.

Have you tried a long pipe over the breaker bar for more leverage?

Impact wrench is a thought, but I'm not sure if that won't do damage to bearings at that location...maybe someone else knows and will jump in here...

Sounds like your problem is that the balancer is moving as you try to remove the bolt??

If this is correct, you might try a small pipe wrench and grip the inside and outside of the balancer and let it rest against something stationary...like the PS gear. The bolt should be standard thread....meaning righty tighty and lefty loosey. Get a long breakover bar, or use a cheater over your rachet and apply steady pressure.....make sure you won't hit your knuckles when it breaks loose.

Preferable a air impact would be the easiest, but you have to remove a lot of stuff to get clearance.

I did one on a Ford crown vic the other day......used a 1/2 long handle rachet with the pipe wrench and then had to put a cheater on the rachet handle, but it broke loose.....the rest using a puller was easy.

Good Luck!

I'm actually working on a buds YJ.

The bolt in balancer w/ screwdriver method is to stop the balancer from rotating. I'm just bending the bolt.I'm attempting with a 1/2" ratchet and pipe against it. It doesnt seem to wanna break loose, and i'm in deep if i break that bolt in the crank.

John B said:
I'm actually working on a buds YJ.

The bolt in balancer w/ screwdriver method is to stop the balancer from rotating. I'm just bending the bolt.I'm attempting with a 1/2" ratchet and pipe against it. It doesnt seem to wanna break loose, and i'm in deep if i break that bolt in the crank.

Are you turning it the wrong way? May sound dumb I know, but I've done it before, then had to heli-coil it, it sucked. If you have a impact gun that can put out good power, get a universal on the socket and try knocking it loose. It shouldn't do anything bad, but I wouldn't hit the bolt with a hammer, that could do some damage.

At the factory I think they put threadlocker on the HB bolt. When I did my XJ a few years ago, it was a pain. If its threadlocker, the easy was out is a little heat. And I mean little heat, not cherry red!

I'v done this job before, dont remember it being reverse thread so yeah, i'm pretty sure i'm attempting to turn it the right way. Lefty loosey... :D

I'll try that impact gun if i can get one in there.

John B said:
I'v done this job before, dont remember it being reverse thread so yeah, i'm pretty sure i'm attempting to turn it the right way. Lefty loosey... :D

I'll try that impact gun if i can get one in there.

Yeah, I can't remember if its a right handed thread. Pretty sure it is, most HB are right handed.

Like I said, get a extension, universal socket, and a socket on the bolt, so you can have the gun low enough. That should work.

Try to use a box end wrench and give a little tappy tappy, sudden impact should break it free and easier than removing everything for impact gun.
Oh, I also used 8# "RBFH"

Long cheater!!

I tried the screwdriver also....don't know where they dreamed that one up.. A strap wrench around the pulley will hold it.

Harlee&Tahoe said:
Try to use a box end wrench and give a little tappy tappy, sudden impact should break it free and easier than removing everything for impact gun.
Oh, I also used 8# "RBFH"

That's a good idea. As long as the box end it a 6 point.

Sig220 said:
Sounds like your problem is that the balancer is moving as you try to remove the bolt??

If this is correct, you might try a small pipe wrench and grip the inside and outside of the balancer and let it rest against something stationary...like the PS gear. The bolt should be standard thread....meaning righty tighty and lefty loosey. Get a long breakover bar, or use a cheater over your rachet and apply steady pressure.....make sure you won't hit your knuckles when it breaks loose.

Preferable a air impact would be the easiest, but you have to remove a lot of stuff to get clearance.

I did one on a Ford crown vic the other day......used a 1/2 long handle rachet with the pipe wrench and then had to put a cheater on the rachet handle, but it broke loose.....the rest using a puller was easy.

Good Luck!

The pipe wrench did the trick... much thanks.

Miracle solution passed on by a mechanic:
Place breaker bar with socket over bolt and position breaker bar against a solid object - frame or ground. While in position ,Simply have someone in vehicle bump turn the ignition and bump the starter (advisable to pull coil wire first). Voila! A simple starter bump and bolt is loose. Also the trick works on many other vehicles.

Back