• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 engine into 94

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, so my dad is swapping the engine from my 98 into his 94. He's going to stick with the exhaust parts from the 94 (they are in one piece the 98 one is cracked), and he's swapping all the sensors over as well.
Stuff that's also going to get reused is the fuel rail.... but what about the injectors and the manifold? Do I want to keep the old injectors (94) or put new ones in (98)? What about the manifold?

Fle-Pro lists the same manifold gasket for both engines, so I'd be inclined to think they'd swap. As far as the fuel inejctors, they'd probably swap as well - physically, they'll interchange, but I don't remember when ChryCo changed the plug (they'll work the same way otherwise - there are only two types of fuel injector, electrically speaking.)

Once you're done, I don't suppose I could get what's left? It would give me a good excuse to head down to SoCal sometime anyhow, and I'm trying to "stock up" my "parts exchange" - plus, I'll probably want to rebuild it for other projects eventually anyhow...

I don't think the accessory brackets changed until about 1999/2000 (when they went COP,) but I do believe the intake was revised for OBD-II in 1997, with the revision flowing better than the original.

What's wrong with the engine in your 1994, anyhow?

5-90

5-90 said:
Fle-Pro lists the same manifold gasket for both engines, so I'd be inclined to think they'd swap. As far as the fuel inejctors, they'd probably swap as well - physically, they'll interchange, but I don't remember when ChryCo changed the plug (they'll work the same way otherwise - there are only two types of fuel injector, electrically speaking.)
Didn't think about the plug.

Once you're done, I don't suppose I could get what's left? It would give me a good excuse to head down to SoCal sometime anyhow, and I'm trying to "stock up" my "parts exchange" - plus, I'll probably want to rebuild it for other projects eventually anyhow...
Sorry, those parts are already claimed.
What's wrong with the engine in your 1994, anyhow?
clunk clunk rattle rattle rattle clunk clunk clunk

And yeah... the block is already claimed as well.

The plugs do not matter they will go over the new injectors if they don't clasp just zip tie them on or cut the new plugs off and splice them onto your old wiring.

the 98 head doesnt have the rear temp sensor for the dash gauge. You'll have to accomodate for that.

Kejtar said:
So the 94 didn't use the front sensor? I wonder if they're calibrated differently?
Till 97 the front sensor was used by the computer only. From what I've heard the front sensor wont work. Maybe its an OBDI vs. OBDII thing.

Atl XJ said:
Till 97 the front sensor was used by the computer only. From what I've heard the front sensor wont work. Maybe its an OBDI vs. OBDII thing.
but if it's a cluster thing only then I can run a separate temp thing to a pod or something. Also maybe it's an issue of swapping in the sensor from the back to the front hole?

I have no idea, let us know what you figure out.

I'd be interested to hear the best way of dealing with this, minus running an after market gauge set up.

Atl XJ said:
I have no idea, let us know what you figure out.

I'd be interested to hear the best way of dealing with this, minus running an after market gauge set up.
gee... thanks guys.. and here I Thought that I Will get all my answers ;)

As I recall, through OBD-I used three temperature sensors - one in the rear of the head, on in the radiator (RENIX) or in the thermostat housing (HO,) and one on the driver's side of the engine block.

The first to go for OBD-II was the one in the cylinder head - the gage/indicator was driven by the OBD bus on a signal from the sensor in the side of the block. Eventually (around OBD-II, I think,) there was only the one sensor (in the tstat housing, I think) that did it all via the SBEC.

Easiest way to handle this? Get a couple head gaskets, and swap heads. Keep each head with the truck that it came with, and swap the blocks. That should only add 30-60 minutes to the swap in either direction, since you'll have to allow for cleaning and inspection, but will simplify things grealy - just swap short blocks instead of whole engines.

5-90

Yes the 94 uses the temp sensor in the t-stst housing for the comp.The sensor in the rear of the head for the guage/light in cluster.I know my wifes 98 does NOT have the head mounted temp sensor and all temp readings come from the sensor in the t-stat housing thru the comp.
Wayne

Kejtar said:
So the 94 didn't use the front sensor? I wonder if they're calibrated differently?

Back