• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I wanna give my XJ a tune up.

victor_s

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so I got an 89 XJ with a 95 Engine and i wanna give it the good ol'tune up. Now i was thinking of getting a better ignition system, any recommendations for that one? Spark plugs, o2 sensor, CPS, plugs & wires. Any ideas of what i can do to make my cooling system better? And i also want to get a little more performance out of it, i was thinking of a t-body spacer aswell.

Well, I'd only replace the CPS if it's showing signs of failure. That's not a "tune up" item.

tbody spacers...meh.

Do a coolant/radiator flush, new fluid, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, o2 sensor, and oil/filter, and a fresh air filter

WheelinJR said:
Well, I'd only replace the CPS if it's showing signs of failure. That's not a "tune up" item.

tbody spacers...meh.

Do a coolant/radiator flush, new fluid, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, o2 sensor, and oil/filter, and a fresh air filter

x2, maybe a fuel filter

Yup, those are all already on the list. Any good performance items i can add to give it a little more oumph! I'm not building a racer here (i have my vw for that lol) but somethin extra would be nice. I was thinking like a cone or something with a nice free-flowing exhaust system

victor_s said:
Yup, those are all already on the list. Any good performance items i can add to give it a little more oumph! I'm not building a racer here (i have my vw for that lol) but somethin extra would be nice. I was thinking like a cone or something with a nice free-flowing exhaust system

A nice 2.5" exhaust with a matching diameter catylitic convertor isn't a bad idea. I am pretty happy with mine.

I don't like the idea of cone filters/air intakes...the filters they use tend to be subpar in filtration, and you just end up feeding your engine a bunch of crap with minimal benefits in power gain.

Here's a freebie
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSilencer.htm

I'd do something like invest in a bored throttle body.

I'd more look into removing your

I've had good success with Accel ignition components on my 92. I would have use MSD but I'm not planning on many power-adders. You can get a Accel truck tune up kit for 60$, it comes with wires, u-grove plugs (they are pretty good plugs btw), cap/rotor and wire seperators. Heres a list of what I did:
Plugs
Wires
Cap/rotor
K&N Air filter element
Cleaned throttle body, injectors
O2 sensor
Oil change doesn't count in my book, but did that too.

victor_s said:
AAny ideas of what i can do to make my cooling system better? And i also want to get a little more performance out of it.

If you still got a mechanical fan and the electric, change to dual electric fan set. That will give you a few hp, add mpg, and make your cooling system much better. If your looking for more performance, take a look at a nitrous kit.

Thanks alot for alll the responses, and no i look down on nitrous, sorry.
I can bore out my own t-body since i've already dont it to my vw t-body and i ploshed it to a mirror shine aswell. Works pretty good.

Back