• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pre-runner style brush guard on stock bumper?

irish44j

NAXJA Forum User
Gents,
Does anyone make a brush guard that resembles

xjpre-runner.jpg

in terms of the center raised section - perhaps attached to the tow hook points (and keeping the tow hooks)? This being with the stock front bumper rather than a full aftermarket bumper like the JCR....

Or, any decent brush guard that will fit with the stock bumper, look decent, and keep the factory tow hooks.

I know it's a noob question, but there are so many options out there I'd just like some opinions.....

Tomken has a basic grill guard, but I don't know if it would interfere with tow hooks or not. http://www.tomken.com/detail.php?id=124

I haven't seen a pre-runner style bar out there for a stock bumper.

lazarus said:
you may also look at detours, doesnt his backbone have a prerunner effect?

yeah, but you have to have the backbone setup to bolt the prerunner bars to (through the stock bumper). And that costs more than just buying the entire JCR prerunner bumper!

Basically, I'm on a budget build, so would like something basic for front-end protection that won't cost as much as a full A/M bumper...

Yeah if you get the "Currently Unavailable" pre-runner addon. http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

They always have cool stuff, I've got their rear bumper at the top of my list.

edit: wow, 3 posts at once.

I may just have something fabbed up to my own specs, but that always costs a bit more and wanted to see what my options were for pre-made stuff....

if you only want it for looks, it shouldn't be too expensive. just need to have the tubing bent to shape and welded in place. if you want something that'll actually take something of a hit, you're out of luck unless you have something really custom fit to mount behind the bumper on the framerails. I smashed a PT Cruiser last month and the stock bumper was destroyed but the tow hook brackets were pristine! of course, the tow hook brackets weigh about the same as the entire bumper, being that they are 1/4" steel vs the very thin gauge bumper.

whatevah said:
if you only want it for looks, it shouldn't be too expensive. just need to have the tubing bent to shape and welded in place. if you want something that'll actually take something of a hit, you're out of luck unless you have something really custom fit to mount behind the bumper on the framerails. I smashed a PT Cruiser last month and the stock bumper was destroyed but the tow hook brackets were pristine! of course, the tow hook brackets weigh about the same as the entire bumper, being that they are 1/4" steel vs the very thin gauge bumper.

trust me, I know :)

deer hit at 55mph dead-on the 2nd day I owned the XJ. All it did was crack the grille and bend the stock bumper

Jeep004.jpg

irish44j said:
yeah, but you have to have the backbone setup to bolt the prerunner bars to (through the stock bumper). And that costs more than just buying the entire JCR prerunner bumper!

Basically, I'm on a budget build, so would like something basic for front-end protection that won't cost as much as a full A/M bumper...

I left mine semi exposed,I have a cherokee bush guard I'm gonna cut up and peice onto the backbone. Solid peice of mind:
IMG_0001.jpg

Back