• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Tire Mounting Instructions?

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
In the hopes of using airsoft BB's to balance my new tires, I was looking for DIY instrcutons/procedures on how to dismount and mount tires. I don't want to go back and forth to a shop and pay to have it done if I am messing around, plus I am always looking to learn how to do things myself. I have a general idea, but was hoping for some specific instructions (pictures would be rgeat) and recomendations on tools. It looks like Northerntool has some of the basic tools like a bead breaker and spoons. I know you can use a hi-lift too, but have never done it. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I just pushed the bead off the rim, and dumped the BBs in.

To pop the bead, I used a floor jack on my XJ rock sliders then slid the tire underneath the rail, put a small piece of wood between the tire (close to the rim) and rail, and let the jack down. I've also driven over the tire before too.

You HAVE to temove the valve core to do this. Go to Autozone and get the tool. Its $3 and the thing just un-screws.

Set the tire on the ground, put the foot of the Hi-lift on the tire, right next to the wheel, jack up something heavy. I use the front of my F350. That will get the bead popped. Flip tire over and repeat. (If you are taking the whole tire off). If just putting bb's in, pour them in, and reinflate the tire.

If you've never dismounted a tire before, I suggest you get somebody to show you how. Pretty difficult to learn on your own, or from the internet. Once you learn though, it is pretty easy.

I have a valve core removal tool already.

I neet to take off my exisiting tires and mount the new ones. Even if I don't do it now, it's still a good thing to know how to do, expecially if it happens on the trail.

I have seen setting the bead with lighter fluid, but that seems kinda sketchy. Won't reinflating the tire do the same thing?

jdbwrx said:
I have a valve core removal tool already.

I neet to take off my exisiting tires and mount the new ones. Even if I don't do it now, it's still a good thing to know how to do, expecially if it happens on the trail.

I have seen setting the bead with lighter fluid, but that seems kinda sketchy. Won't reinflating the tire do the same thing?
Yes, just re-inflate the tire. The setting the bead on fire is a trail trick if you don't have air... or enough pressure. The explosion caused from the chemical (of whatever you spray inside and along the bead) creates heat and expands the air, popping the bead back on the tire

Harbor Frieght has tire changers for around $50. They are pretty easy to use. They are very manual labor but don't require a degree to figure out.

To reseat a bead on a rim requires pretty good air pressure. The fire method should work well on the trail due to the rapid expansion of air.

I have seen those harbor freight ones talked about before. If I remember correctly though, they require bolting it to the floor. Not an option in a rented garage!

lay your rim on the ground by the drivers side with the core removed and run over the old tires with another vehicle drive as close to the rim as possible since you dont really care about the old tires (not the best thing for the belts inside) it will break the bead when reinstalling wrap a nylon ratchet strap around the tire and tighten it till the tread starts to bend inward a little than bounce the tire on the ground a couple of times this should push the bead outward so you can air it up once you get a couple of lbs of air in release the strap and voila 1 mounted tire i ve done it many times also when putting the new tire on the rim use soap or wd 40 to lube the tire than use your feet to get it as far over the rim as you can than use a big screwdriver or crowbar to get it the rest of the way good luck...signed: to cheap to go to a tireshop lol

I watched my buddy in a newly painted 73 f250, try and brake the bead by running it over!! I watched a tear come to his eye as it flipped up and hit his front left fender! better off with the hi lift and a good bumper,

(My disclaimer.... The following is very dangerous!!! It could hurt, mame, or kill you.... Do not follow my instructions.....)

To reseat, wrap a ratchet strap around the o.d. of the tire and sinch it down tight. Spray the inside of the tire with starting fluid, stand back and toss a lit match at it.......

(If you choose to ignore my disclaimer please do so outside away from combustables and wear ear plugs and saftey glasses...... I am not responsible for any harm to you or your property if you choose to ignore my warnings....)hasta

Back