• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan swap gone wrong????

rav

NAXJA Forum User
So i got the newer style electric fan (10 blade, 97-01) to replace my stock 8 blade (mine is a 95) one from ebay, the seller said that it was tested.

I looked at the new fan and it had 1 blue and 1 black wire where as the connector on my old one had 1 white and 1 black, so i spliced the blue and white together and both the black ones. Now when i turn on my AC the electric fan does not come on. I was wondering since its freezing cold out here maybe the fan does not come on, am i right ? or should the fan come on the moment you turn on the AC regardless of the outside temperature?

Any help will be appreciated as always.

Ravi
Is there any other way to get the electric fan to come on?

rav said:
Is there any other way to get the electric fan to come on?

Hook it directly to the battery to make sure it works. Watch your fingers!!!

McQue said:
Sent you a PM...

Thanks a lot, i guess i will have to take it to the mechanic to test it, as i do not have a voltmeter.

With your Jeep running unplug the thermostat sensor. The fan should come on since it cant see a temp reading as a safety.

Narfxj said:
With your Jeep running unplug the thermostat sensor. The fan should come on since it cant see a temp reading as a safety.
where is that located?

the temp sensor is on the thermostat housing, where the top radiator hose connects to the engine. it will be the only thing in that area with wires hooked up to it.

OK just an update, thought the fan was dead or my wiring, so just bought a brand new fan with the right connector hooked it up and turn on the AC but still not working.
My old fan was working the last time i had used the AC, can the electric fan relay be the culprit here? are they prone to go bad??

89xj said:
yes, the relay can go bad.

have you connected 12v directly to the fan to check to see if the fan works?
will do that first thing tomorrow.

Thanks,
ravi

Does any body know where the electric fan relay is on a 95 XJ, I took a torch and traced the wire from the fan but could not see any relay????

tigerShark said:
wow, over 250 posts and no clue where the temp sensor is. amazing.
Never had to mess with that, had an 88, and there is nothing wrong in accepting if you do not know :rolleyes:

rav said:
OK just an update, thought the fan was dead or my wiring, so just bought a brand new fan with the right connector hooked it up and turn on the AC but still not working.
My old fan was working the last time i had used the AC, can the electric fan relay be the culprit here? are they prone to go bad??

You went out and bought a new fan without hooking the fan up to the battery directly to see if it was the fan first???

If you're willing to take the fan into a mechanic to get tested, then I guess you should have enough money to take the vehicle to the mechanic to install the fan too.

Must be nice to have money to waste.....

Throttle said:
You went out and bought a new fan without hooking the fan up to the battery directly to see if it was the fan first???

If you're willing to take the fan into a mechanic to get tested, then I guess you should have enough money to take the vehicle to the mechanic to install the fan too.

That's not very nice, ehh??? Got your tuque in a bind? :laugh2:

Last edited:
x2, why buy a new fan without figuring out if it was even good or bad?

Throttle said:

You need to relax, yesterday was a saturday and there are 2 mechanics where i live, both of which were closed!!

Just to update, I took a jump start cable,attached it to the battery and tested the connector that i had spliced, the fan comes on, so probably it is the electric fan relay, just need to figure that one.

Reading previous posts about this, i also found that if the AC compressor is low on charge (refrigerant) then the fan will not come on, maybe that could also be an issue??

The point Throttle was making is that you said you just went and bought a new fan, without checking to see if the other one was even working - by hooking it up to the battery directly.
Day of the week, and whether or not there was a mechanic open, has no bearing on this...

Back