• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to beef up supension

doublemj

NAXJA Forum User
I own a 1986 MJ, long bed 4WD. I am mostly using it for farm work, hauling wood, tools, etc. When I get a big load on it, sounds like it is bottoming out. Is it time for new shocks, not sure how to tell. Or is it something more. The leaf springs appear to be in good shape. Oh, the truck sat for about 3 years before the guy finally decided to sell it to me. I recently put new 29 inch tires on it, so not looking for much if any kind of lift. That solved the death wobble from before on old tires. I will do some wheeling from time to time, since I live only 1/2 mile from a National Forest. So lots of trails to explore. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

If its bottoming out, i would go with some lift, and stiffer springs/bastard pack.

To tell if its the shocks, go to one corner, and puch down. if it bounces up and down more than say... 3 or 4 time... its time for some shocks.

That's what I had been thinking on the shocks. No bounce after you push down on them, a little squeak sometimes. So being new to this will have to do some more exploring and searching on the bastard pack. And stiffer springs. Great truck, just need to beef up the supension so can haul bigger loads. Thanks for quick reply......

Remember...it's only a 1/2 ton at best...with more (stiffer) springs or load helpers you may be able to add 3-400 lbs to that. Air shocks may help level it out, but I'd add some spring helpers rated at 5-1500 lbs. AND air shocks if you want to...well...overload it. Spring helpers and air shocks would help on highway as well when you're loaded.

if its just a farm/beater truck then you can probly go the cheap way and put new shocks and the put the coil over kit on the shocks(the coil around the shocks), they sell a kit right at pep-boys real cheap.

I am going to try the spring helpers. See how that works. Had some from a previous project that never got put on. They are the right size so try that and go from there. Normally don't haul anything to far or at highway speeds so this may be the trick.

Back