• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 banger xj gears

downhillracer

NAXJA Forum User
Im sure im going to get flamed but I've searched and could only find scattered info. I went to my local pnp the other day and noticed that they had an 86 4 banger with a stick. Dana 30/35. What are the chances that it had 4.10's in the axles and can i tell just by looking at the tag on the diff. I couldnt spin the wheels and look at the driveshaft to get the ratio cause the tires were still on the ground and no jack. Also if they do have 4.10 should i just buy both the axles or try and pull the gears and put them in the axles i have now.

chances are good it has 4:10, I'd confirm first, you are way better of to get the complete front rear assemblies and swap them in, they most likely will not fit your housings

some of those 86 4 bangers had 3.73's. id watch out. look for the auto if you can... a local yard here had a manual 4 banger with 3.73's, the autos had 4.56 i think starting in 87?

Jeeptricks_chaser said:
Any dealership can do a equipment inquiry & be able to tell you what gears came in it when it was built. As long as nobody has ever modified it in the past.

:compwork:

i found that chysler can only go back to 1991 to get info on the xj.

Many of the pre-chrysler 4 poppers had 3.73 gears. Never seen one with 4.56's.

blondejoncherokee said:
some of those 86 4 bangers had 3.73's. id watch out. look for the auto if you can... a local yard here had a manual 4 banger with 3.73's, the autos had 4.56 i think starting in 87?

They only got 4.56's if they had the AW4. JIM.

Back