• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting problem

Taylorxj88

NAXJA Forum User
so my xj used to run alright and then i started puting money into the engine.
new starter, air filter, plugs and plug wires, and then after a few months it wouldnt start.
so i replaced the map sensor and a few emmisions parts.
now it will run for a few seconds only with starting fluid and then it boggs out and dies.
ive looked through old forums and threads and cant find any answers.
so any tips would help out alot. thanks.

If it's starting ONLY when you use starting fluid as you say (by the way, you don't have to spend the extra $$ on "starting" fluid...carb cleaner works just as good), then it sounds to me like you've got a fuel supply problem.

If it's got spark, and it's got fuel, it will run! You know you've got spark because it starts with starting fluid....sounds like you're lacking fuel...probably fuel pump!

well i hear my fuel pump when i turn my key half way.
and theres pressure when i push the valve on the front of the fuel rail so i dont know.
also i pulled the tube from the start of the fuel rail and its pumping gas so im out of ideas

Well if it only starts with starter fluid, then you definately have a fuel supply problem!!! It HAS to be something, pump, injectors, clogged filter...something in the fuel supply is not working properly.

Well, I wouldn't go that far...did you put new o-rings on the injectors you got from the junker before installing them?

I'd rent a fuel system tester from autozone or your local parts store and see what pressure you're getting first before I ran out and bought all new stuff.

I agree with keepOnjeepinOn. You have to get some hard data on what is preventing proper fuel delivery. This one shouldn't be too hard to isolate.

Get a gauge on the schrader valve on your fuel rail and see what you have for a reading compared to your spec which I don't know what that is off hand. Hearing your fuel pump come on with key-on only means that the fuel pump is "energized". It doesn't mean that it is working properly.

I'll put my money on a bad pump.......Post back what you find! :wave1:

After cranking pull a plug smell it, Gas?
Fuel, Spark, & AIR
Try cleaning IAC (remove and spray w/carb cleaner)
What about TPS? How's it testing?
Definately test fuel pressure. That will tell a lot.

Just a couple thoughts
hopefully this will help
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

without knowing what year it is, i would say bad ballast resistor if it starts and dies after a few seconds.
Screen name Taylorxj88 should give it away or look at his profile. I agree this info does help a lot.

89xj said:
without knowing what year it is, i would say bad ballast resistor if it starts and dies after a few seconds.

I 100% disagree!!!! He said it ONLY starts when he uses starting fluid....meaning he's not getting fuel!!!

Besides, if you look at his screen name, it's pretty obvious what year it is!!:twak:

keep0njeepin0n said:
I 100% disagree!!!! He said it ONLY starts when he uses starting fluid....meaning he's not getting fuel!!!
or too much air
Without a fuel pressure test you'll only be throwing $$ at it

keep0njeepin0n said:

Besides, if you look at his screen name, it's pretty obvious what year it is!!:twak:

when posting a problem, its simple, post its spec. i own more than one xj and my sig says 89 but also own a 96.

dont be a douche bag with all the !!!!!!!!!! get over yourself

Back