• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

guages

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
i want to change my guage on my 98, i have the one below. i'd love to get the one with the needles, can i just pull and plug one that has the needles or is there something that i have to do? i'd like to get a temp guage, a tach, and a amp guage. thought about gettin a a-pillar pod but i cant find a tach that will fit a 2 1/16 inch hole
01-25-08_1407.jpg

I believe they are a direct swap.
However, your mileage will read whatever the "new" gauge cluster said when it was taken out of the donor vehicle unless you have it reset by the dealer.

i'm not quit worried about the miles, not planning on getting rid of the jeep, i'd end up writing the ond milage down, my milage is going to be off anyways, since i'm on 32s and stock gears right?

they will just swap out the plugs are the same its the senders on the engine that are different sometimes between lights and gauges.So you should check that. Yes on the mileage

From what I understand the only issues that you have with senders and sensors is on the older XJ's. For the 97+ it is just plug and play.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter the year. You will need new sending units for oil pressure(located below the oil filter), water temp( located on the drivers side below the exhaust manifold on the block) both senders can be had at local parts stores. The voltage and the tach are plug and play.

SOUTHTEXASXJ said:
they will just swap out the plugs are the same its the senders on the engine that are different sometimes between lights and gauges.So you should check that. Yes on the mileage

It should just swap out, period. OBD-II gages are usually driven by the ECU via the CAN bus - so the sensors are the same either way (either the signal drives a gage, or feeds a driver for the warning lamp.)

thats kinda what i thought, but wasnt sure, , if this will work then i'ma get the guage cluster and change the bulbs to blue. that still saves me money instead of buying an apillar pod and separate guages

I've got a 98 also, and I swapped out my dummy light cluster for a gauge cluster a few years ago. I got it off ebay, and I want to say it was from a 97 TJ. Like josh said, its just plug and play.

Just changed my gauge cluster on my 98 xj easy to do no other changes needed.

downhillracer said:
It doesn't matter the year. You will need new sending units for oil pressure(located below the oil filter), water temp( located on the drivers side below the exhaust manifold on the block) both senders can be had at local parts stores. The voltage and the tach are plug and play.
if it is 97 + it is direct swap takes about 20 minutes.

I did my 99XJ last week and it was a simple upgrade. There are two stationary large plugs (kinda like a USB plug on a computer) in the dash that the cluster simply pushes into and your plugged in and ready to put it back together. Just make sure to disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes before going to work on your dash. The sensors for mine did not need changing and everything works great. There were several slightly different clusters made and I bought one for my year and build date on the door but I don't know if it makes a difference or not. It is so nice having guages instead of lights. Even the door open including the back tailgate ajar lights work correctly along with everything else, cruise, highbeam, airbag, turn indicators, etc. etc.. It is especially comforting knowing water temperature. Don't forget to disconnect the battery for at least 2 minutes while the airbag system goes to inop mode. I had the new and old cluster sent out to a dealer to fix the speedometer difference but they botched that and put the wrong miles on it so that was a waste of time and money.

Back