• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CV driveshaft question

Cornfed-87XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Please don't be mad. I searched, but there were too many hits.

I was thinking about pulling a CV front drive shaft out of a full size truck and have it fitted for the rear of my XJ. Will this be strong enough for the application, or should I use a larger diameter tube?

Thanks

why not just use the front shaft? as long as your not going "balls to the wall" it should work fine

For the cost of a nice Tom Woods shaft, I don't see why you should go that route. I wanted to do that as well, in fact I picked up a used front shaft for $50, but realized I could have a Tom Woods one for $300. After you have someone lengthen/shorten the old one with new ujoints, you could have a new one built custom.

userbmx1315 said:
why not just use the front shaft? as long as your not going "balls to the wall" it should work fine

I found myself eating front shafts in the back.Bought a real one and now I don't worry, the little slip shaft wears out quick if you offroad,or drive like a maniac

I was junkyard scrounging and stumbled upon a few front cv shafts from early Ford Explorers, their alot burlier than the the XJ shafts I have in my garage and it looks like they would bolt up (I haven't really tried it) but, if they do......$28 for the shaft and $85 to retube/balance= quite a steal! Something to look into, anyway ;)---------Hans

Back