• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heating AC Question

stevens157

NAXJA Forum User
So after I replaced my air conditioning compressor, dryer and fixed orifice tube it seems I made my evaporator leak. I have it out and am waiting for the new one to get here. I have always had a problem with the air blowing real cold then getting warm and water blowing out of the vents because the evaporator would freeze. I read somewhere that I had a bad "thermistor". I figure with the dash laying on the garage floor I should replace it. Where is it and do you think that is truly the problem? I am assuming this isn't the same as the blower motor resistor but maybe it is. Any insight would be great.

Is there a seperate part number for the styrofoam around the evaporator because mine is nasty, or does it generally come with the new part?

The best part of doing this disgusting job was the look on my wife's face when she walked into the garage and saw the inside of the jeep.

Mike

I don't think you have one, freeze up is usually cause by a bad low pressure switch. As the temperature drops across the evaporator so does the low pressure, the low pressure cutoff switch is suppose to turn the compressor off before a freeze up.
Also over charging will also cause a freeze up because it forces the low pressure up to high and the compressor will not cycle off and on but even worse you can get liquid back to the compressor and burn out the clutch or blow the valves out of the compressor.

Last edited:
Back