• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 4.0 into 97XJ??

FreemansXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 97 Cherokee (4.0) with, what I believe is a bad head (guy overheated it). The engine has about 130k on it as it sits. I have found a 4.0 out of a 2000 TJ for a fair price. My question is will the 200 engine retrofit into the 97? I understand the 4.0 part is the same, but I thought they went to a new ignition system in 00. Can I just put my 97 ignition on the 00 block or do I need to retrofit all of the 00 computer stuff (which is more hassle than I want).

Any other problems I am missing?

Thx
John

Here is the $700.00 wonder

100_1540.jpg

100_1538.jpg

I believe the 2000 will have the 0331 head, That head apparently cracks easily, mine did on my 2001, if you do this i dont see why your current ignition would not work, because the only difference was the head had smaller exhaust ports and the head had a place to mount the coil pack, and why dont you just replace the head? it only cost me like $400 for the head and gaskets and it wasnt that hard of a job

The short block should be no trouble, but fitting the DIS would be a step backwards (the 0331 head does not breathe as well, and search up <0331 club> here...)

I think there's an oil pump drive mounted in the DIS/COP block, so you could pull that and install your distributor. If it's a cracked head, your short block is probably fine - and you just need a head-swap anyhow.

However, I think you'd be better off finding another 0630 head (1996-1999/2000, as I mentioned, the 0331 is a bit of a step backwards anyhow) or a 7120 head (1991-1995) and installing either of those. The exhaust ports in the 0331 head were reduced to keep the exhaust gases hot, which improves catalyst light-off time. However, this also impedes exhaust gas flow slightly - which will, in turn, impede intake flow. Oops.

(The reason for the "1999/2000" above is simple - the TJ and WJ got COP ignition for the 1999 model year, and the XJ for the 2000 model year. COP persisted in the WJ and TJ until the end of the production life for the 242 engine for 2007.)

5-90 said:
The short block should be no trouble, but fitting the DIS would be a step backwards (the 0331 head does not breathe as well, and search up <0331 club> here...)

I think there's an oil pump drive mounted in the DIS/COP block, so you could pull that and install your distributor. If it's a cracked head, your short block is probably fine - and you just need a head-swap anyhow.

However, I think you'd be better off finding another 0630 head (1996-1999/2000, as I mentioned, the 0331 is a bit of a step backwards anyhow) or a 7120 head (1991-1995) and installing either of those. The exhaust ports in the 0331 head were reduced to keep the exhaust gases hot, which improves catalyst light-off time. However, this also impedes exhaust gas flow slightly - which will, in turn, impede intake flow. Oops.

(The reason for the "1999/2000" above is simple - the TJ and WJ got COP ignition for the 1999 model year, and the XJ for the 2000 model year. COP persisted in the WJ and TJ until the end of the production life for the 242 engine for 2007.)

Thank you very much for that info!! That is a big help. I think I need to tear into it and start looking for a head :)
Thx,

John

seanyb505 said:
You paid $700 for that!? Am I understanding that correctly? That my friend is amazing.

As it sits :)

I even drove it onto the trailer. Short version...kid spent $500 in repair work at a shop (brakes, etc)..they told him the water pump was leaking and it needed fixed. He didn't listen, overheated it and had it towed back to the shop. Dad was mad, so he listed it on Craigslist (his name on title). I was the first to look at it and bought it on the spot. It has 80% tread BfG A/t's (32x11.50's), all the armor, a skyjacker 3", and no rust. I think I did okay :)

John

i would yank an early HO head from the junkyard. they are the ones with the freest flowing ports. or even the 2nd HO head, the 0630. your gonna need to take it to the machine shop to have it checked for cracks and get it resurfaced so you might as well have them port it while theyre at it.

btw, i am so jealous that you found that for $700.

tigerShark said:
i would yank an early HO head from the junkyard. they are the ones with the freest flowing ports. or even the 2nd HO head, the 0630. your gonna need to take it to the machine shop to have it checked for cracks and get it resurfaced so you might as well have them port it while theyre at it.

btw, i am so jealous that you found that for $700.

I found a local guy with a 99 that I am going over to look at. It had 120k and then caught fire under the hood. I doubt a wire fire would have hurt the head and hopefully I can get him to throw in the 99 intake too (I have read here that these are desirable). :)

JOhn

Compare the 99 intake to yours. If it looks the same, then no change. I think they changed late year to the newer intake manifold. They might have done the distributorless ignition as well. There isn't much of a flow improvement over the HO head (91-95) vs the 96-99 head. There are a few differences, but they won't prevent you from swapping them on. The later heads (96+) have location dowel pin holes. These match your dowel pins on your block. I installed a '95 head on an '03 block. I had to file some material off for it to fit. I have been on threads were others who have done this didn't have that problem. The other is that the 91-95 heads have an extra temp sensor in them. You just need to keep that sensor in there. I'd find a 96-99 head and possibly port-n-polish it. Might look into Hi-Flow valves if you want a bit more power. The (late 99+) 2000+ intake manifold is subject in what HP improvement it gives. Some wild claims out there. I think the two dyno results where 3-5 hp and somewhere betwee 15-25 hp. The 15-25 hp, the guy changed injectors. So I believe the 3-5 hp.
Still if you can get one cheap ,$50 or so, and you are taking off your head and exhaust, then it would be worth it.
Tom

Back