• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick little electrical question

Fozzy_Bear

NAXJA Forum User
Ok... Here's the scoop.

89 XJ; 4.0; 5-speed (yes the Peugeot... but this isn't a drive-train question)

After the last trip heeling (on the way home, actually) I noticed that neither of my turn signals were working. The hazard flasher works, so I can see that all of the bulbs are good, just no turn signals. Both definitely worked on the way up; neither work now.

I'm figuring that there is a little plastic connector somewhere that gave-out (hopefully just came loose and not damaged) somewhere.

- I'm pretty sure I (along with everybody else in my group) know exactly the impact that caused it too... but that's a different story :D -

Can anybody give me a head start on where I should look for the afore mentioned little plastic critter?

Thanks.

- Robert

i have n 89 just take the flasher out of the hazard and stick it in the turn signal flasher on teh lower left of the fuse box and see if u get turn signals. If not then check turn signal fuse. Weird things seem to happen with mine after wheeling like dash lights dont work and then they are on all the time now. Anyway hope that helps.

Cool.

that sounds easy enough to check... I was afraid people were gonna suggest tearing the steering column apart.

Thanks.

tear the steering column apart...... oh, never mind, just turn the hazard lamps on and feel around for the flasher (it'll be the thing clicking) and look for the other one that looks just like it-- swap 'em around and try the signals:yelclap:

--Shorty

P.S. was nice meeting you a few mos. ago at Advance-- lemme know if you need anything!

There are two flashers - both are on the fuse box underdash.

As mentioned, turn your hazzards on, and see which one is clicking. It's not that one - it's the other one you'll want to replace. You can test by substitution tho - they're both the same unit.

Replacement is #552 (all brands) for the standard "thermal" unit, or the equivalent for the "electronic" one (Tridon EL1 is what I can find locally. However, it's the standard two-prong gizzie.)

If you plan on towing, replace both of them with electronics, or #536 thermal (the #536 can handle more bulbs than the #552, and the electronic units don't care how many bulbs they're switching.)

Shorty said:
tear the steering column apart...... oh, never mind, just turn the hazard lamps on and feel around for the flasher (it'll be the thing clicking) and look for the other one that looks just like it-- swap 'em around and try the signals:yelclap:

--Shorty

P.S. was nice meeting you a few mos. ago at Advance-- lemme know if you need anything!

Great idea. Thanks!

And it was good to meet you too.

5-90 said:
If you plan on towing, replace both of them with electronics, or #536 thermal (the #536 can handle more bulbs than the #552, and the electronic units don't care how many bulbs they're switching.)

Also great advice.

Thank you very much.

Back