• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Tools for radiator?

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, My radiator is leaking, and I am broke so I think i am going to tough it out and go browse the junkyards in the rain tomorrow. I think its 1/2 off during rain, so thats cool.

What i want to know is, is there anything out of the norm that I should take to get one out of there? I am taking my craftsman set, some random wrenches/pliers, thats about it. I don't have much else, so i wanna be prepared to buy it in the morning, or just go to Kragen for a new one.

dude, never pulled an xj radiator huh? well, lemme think, bring 5/16 socket for rad. hoses... i think upper mounting bolts are like 9/16...its been a while...just bring a shallow and deep socket set, i cant remember if you need a male torx or not to get the body peice that goes across the top, im pretty sure you dont. radiators.com has em got 120$.... so think about that before you buy a rusted out radiator fromt the yard....dont forget to grab a spring outta a return line there for youre lower hose if ya dont already have one....

yea, never pulled one before. I'm still not 100% on getting one down there, but right now $120 is a lot of $$ for me, so getting one for cheap that might get me by a little longer is what i'm hoping for.

I think the bolts that hold the fan shroud and e-fan are 8mm, the radiator support bolts are 10mm, if you have to remove the clutch fan the nuts are 1/2 inch, I think the nuts that attach the radiator to the support are 8mm, I'm not sure the size of the bolts that attach the radiator to the condensor (8mm or 10mm). The hose clamps you will either need some pliers or 5/16 (like mentioned above).

In summary, 8mm, 10mm sockets, 1/2 wrench, 5/16 nutdriver (or screwdriver), and pliers (I prefer channel locks).

Good Luck....and someone else jump in if I missed something.

You dont need to pull out the mech fan or shroud to pull the radiator. You need a standard socket set and torx screwdrivers to pull the header brace and hood latch, a vise grip or flat head to pull the hoses depending on what clamps are used, a big adjustable crescent wrench to get the upper cooler line off, and some needle nose pliers/skinny fingers to get the lower cooler line quick disco off. There are some little bolts that hold the shroud and e-fan to the header brace, but a standard socket set should have the right size. Also, there are a couple bolts that attach the radiator to the condenser if it has AC. Again, a standard socket set should have the size for those as well. Good Luck.

By the way, pulling the air box makes this job alot easier and the standard socket set should cover the three bolts and 1 nut that holds down the air box.

if all else fails use some TNT...... :explosion :laugh:

i think everyone else covered what you'll need for the job. a basic (but good) wrench/socket set & some pliers/vice.

if you can get away with it, leave the electric fan on it (they may not notice it on the rad lol) i know i need that stupid little thing , mine is shot/not working.

good luck in there diggin around.

Back