• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

raising t-case for better pinion angle?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
As some of you know I've been on a mission lately for a vibe free ride.I just got done installing 6*shims and it put me 1* above the ds angle.

So I started thinking what if I made a 1/8" or 1/4" plate to put under the tranny mount to raise the t-case output slightly?Hopefully putting me about 1*under.....anyone done something like this?

I started out with 8* shims and they were way too much so this is my second set of shims and I'm getting tired of messing with returning them and paying shipping and such.....not to mention the time and energy involved dropping the axle to re-shim.

Another idea I had was to take a flap wheel and lightly "machine" the shims down to about 4*???They are steel shims.....

what do ya think?

you running a sye? if so you want your pinion angle about 1* lower or dead on with the ds angle. so the 8* shoulda put ya one under the ds right(since the 6* put ya one over?
you can buy 5 and 7* shims too from i think old amn emu or rocky road outfitters.
1* above ds angle?
the driveshaft should be around 15* give or take, and if youre not running a sye, you want youre u joint angle at your pinion to be the same as youre u joint angle at youre tcase output.

so if you dont have a sye, youll want that rear angle to e way lower than the ds angle, your output is probably between 1 and 5* depending on if you have a tcase drop or not, so youll want your pinion angle to be about 1-2 degrees below that to account for axle wrap. im currently going through all of this myself right now....
what are you using to find youre angles and are you being careful?
im just saying that cuz i wasnt that careful measureing the first time and mis shimmed...

I am running a sye....
A 6* shim put my pinion angle 1* above my ds angle so the 6* shim is too much....8 would just throw it more outa wack.Yes I was careful using a magnetic angle finder.....ten times!!!!!

Looking back 4* shims would've been perfect.....but I'm already stuck with two sets of shims as it is so I'm trying to make the most out of a crappy situation by looking in to raising the t-case output.

anyone see anything negative about doing this? it would be the same as adding a little more suspension lift to the 5.5" I have already,therefore making the angles better with the oversized shim....

8* rubicon express steel shims for sale w/center pins.never installed

Last edited:
i say order the 4* shim. theyre cheap. 30$ plus shipping. just wait till you sell the 8* and 6* shims and then order the 4*. sell em both for half price...
so youre talking about making a shim for the t case/tranny mount huh? sounds like a bitch, id rather re-shim the axle, but it seems safe...

Looks like I'll be a pioneer on this....seems like nobody has done this before,huh?
I'll be fabbing the plate in the next few days,when I get it installed I'll post back here with the results.

Possible bad idea(motor could hit things,shifter linkage binding issues,transmission hits tunnel,etc),just do it right and be done.As youve already noted from me,your going to get almost NO change from the that end of the driveshaft(means really thick shim,thats why TC drops are 1"+).

Thanks RCP Phx.I can always count on you for solid info on drivelines.I wondered If I would see much change in the overall geometry by attempting this.I'm going to give it a go anyhow.I'm interested in finding out if it will work.

Just grind down the shims a lol..

Possible bad idea(motor could hit things,shifter linkage binding issues,transmission hits tunnel,etc),just do it right and be done.As youve already noted from me,your going to get almost NO change from the that end of the driveshaft(means really thick shim,thats why TC drops are 1"+).

you really think 1/4" would make things hit stuff? I don't think anything is so close that it would cause a problem.....?

dude, 4* shims are 30$ for steel! sell your 6 and 8* shims! rcp pnx is a smart man, he gives good advice. the tcase may be able to drop , but they def. dont make tcase lift kits, they make tcase drop kits. im sure there are more than a few good reasons why....

tayman said:
you really think 1/4" would make things hit stuff? I don't think anything is so close that it would cause a problem.....?
No,what I was leading at is I dont think a 1/4" is going to be enough to make the needed angle change.

IMO get new shims, might seem like a waste but if you change ride height again or get another jeep sometime you will be prepared (ive been right were you are)

at the last rcrocks comp there was a guy basically running a stock XJ with some trimming and bumpers. He did very well and he had clocked his 231 and added a flat belly skid. He said he accomplished it by basically drilling new hole in the case itself and turing it up. He went into some detail but not alot so I can't be of much more help

krelja said:
at the last rcrocks comp there was a guy basically running a stock XJ with some trimming and bumpers. He did very well and he had clocked his 231 and added a flat belly skid. He said he accomplished it by basically drilling new hole in the case itself and turing it up. He went into some detail but not alot so I can't be of much more help
Ok,but what does that have to do with the rear transfer case output angle???

RCP Phx said:
Ok,but what does that have to do with the rear transfer case output angle???
If he wanted to raise it for clearance as well he could put whatever crossmember he decides and how it sits on there will affect the angle.

RCP Phx said:
No,what I was leading at is I dont think a 1/4" is going to be enough to make the needed angle change.

gotcha...

but hey, 1/4 in might be just the ticket to get rid of the vibe!

krelja said:
What he may have done(the rig you saw,probably some custom floorpan work),who knows.But based on a stock set-up.....You cant clock it up because of the floorpan,You cant clock it down do to the driveshaft.Where Jeep put it,it has pretty equal spacing about the body.Why put tons of work into modifying all this stuff when a pair of shims will fix eveything with no extra fab work making things one-off!

Back