• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 no1st to 2nd shift

CABXJ

NAXJA Forum User
2001 4.0 231 AW4 8.25 about 70,000 miles.
Have done a quick search no luck. All fuctions seem to be working well, but when I have the shifter in the 1-2 postion it does not shift from 1st to 2nd. Which is great for wheeling but I have a lot of down hill in my daily drive work like to save some of my brakes. In postion three all works fine and in D its all good. Im new to Jeeps would prefer fixing it my self so any help would be much.

Thanks

It's supposed to hold it in 1st as long as it can. If you put in in 1-2 at speed, it should drop to 2nd and then downshift to first when it can, and stay there until your close to red-line. The behavior seems to vary a little for different model years. Quite messing with the shifter and use the brakes like everyone else. :}

Thanks, not the answer I was looking for, your are right I will have to live with it. Still say its wacked not being able to use 2nd when I want, now I know thanks.

you can still down shift into second if you want to... the shift mod that i linked above is really very easy to do... you could lock up your tc as well which would give better engine braking.

BADaXJ said:
you can still down shift into second if you want to... the shift mod that i linked above is really very easy to do... you could lock up your tc as well which would give better engine braking.

True, but on a 2001 that mod will trigger the check-engine light. The 1998 and up trans computers have an input speed sensor and it will flag when the trans or t/c appear to be doing something other than what the TCU expects. It's a nice feature as it really helps diagnostics, but it does cause problems with simple mods like this.

Thanks for the input, does anyone know what controls the shift form 1st to 2nd when the shifter is in the 1-2 position? Can it (controller, governor or ?) be adjusted so it would shift at a lower RPM? Im going to tray and get it to shift, as suggested but have a hard time with running her that high (4800+ rpm) when I feel I should not need to.

The trans computer controls the shifting based on throttle input, engine rpm from the front sensor, output shaft speed, and shifter position. Not adjustable.

Back