• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

slight power drop with window switch

xjfanatic87

NAXJA Forum User
On my way home today while i had the radio on, i rolled my window down and the volume dropped as i held the switch in. let the switch out and the volume came back to normal. I'm going to school to become a mechanic but decided I would try and see if anyone else had the same problem before I go and diagnose in a few days.:twak:

my original rad did that if i was idleing i think if i remember correctly or if the fan was on hi and opened a window i replaced the radio and no problems since i have replaced the alt also when it locked up but i dont rmrber if it was b4 or after the alt.

ScorpionBoy said:
who are you you hitting with a stick and why? is it your shitty wires or your dying alt?
I'm hitting the smilie guy because I was frustrated with the radio. Hope that helps. Second,the wiring is fine on it. I was questioning something with the charging system, we have been getting into 25 below and lower temp weather. But now it won't do it at all now that I'm trying to get it to do it again. There is a chance it might be the cd player, I bought it for $10. It was probably sold that cheap for a reason.....

What year is your Jeep. I ask because I know that RENIX era Jeeps ( hell all of them as far as I know) Have crappy wiring. Grounds esp. I had a similar issue with my 87 Wagoneer. If the heater fan was on my ALT gage dropped ALOT. I ended up dropping my complete dash out and rewired the whole ground system. Made a major diff. Now I can run my heater, use my headlights with fogs, radio on with little or no diff in my ALT gage.
:party:

Temperature will play a huge part.
Your power window motors will have an effect especially if it's -25 like you say.
You never said if it was a custom stereo or factory junk.

I can't use my Pass rear power window in cold weather, it blows the 30A fuse. Temps above 40 ish and all windows work fine.
Grounding is a bitch in the older XJ's

It's a 2000 with the factory junk. I'm looking around trying to find a decent headunit to install sometime soon. I think it's just the crappy cd player with the problem. When it happens the voltage gauge doesn't even flinch. And it probably has some to do with the fact that it is 25 below. Hopefully I will have a new cd player in soon. I'm almost sure that is the problem. I would go outside to diagnose it, but it's way to cold right now. And we are only allowed to do braking systems at tech school right now.

do you have the volume cranked way up when this happens or does it happen at any volume?
i could definitely see the cold having an impact.
if the volume is way up i could also expect for there to be some drop when you run the switch if charging system isn't up to snuff, though you stated your voltmeter isn't moving.
maybe double check your wiring on the headunit?

Back