• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

multi-cylinder misfire

johniim

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 xj 4.0 with about 127k on it and recently the check engine light has been coming on whenever I stomp on it (uphill on-ramps) I went and bought a scanner to check it and it keeps telling me #1 cylinder misfire and multi-cylinder misfire I changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor and still the same codes any help would be appreciated

I usualy run midgrade same price as regular threeblocks from the house so I don't think thats the problem and the light stays on until I clear the code

anything else happen recently?
overheating issue?
any of the old plugs look fouled?
can you check compression?

Its a little early but have you checked the play in the Distributor pick-up.A 4-3 code multi-cylinder misfire can be caused by this,a ticking sound can be heard and felt from the dist cap and some of the contacts will show signs of damage.
Wayne

I had #6 misfire and changed EVERYTHING and checked for vacuum leaks and EVERYTHING....on my RENIX that is. For almost 2 weeks ( inclusing the 100mile drive home from college ( and back)) I was running 85% power with really shitty vibrations. I thought my engine was f'd. checked for spark, ok, gas, none. what fixed it you may ask?

MY FUEL INJECTOR WAS UNPLUGGED.

I was pissed I has dropped so much money on plugs, wires, cap and button, coil, etc etc.......just to have an injector unplugged

It happens.

--Alex

beakie said:
anything else happen recently?
overheating issue?
any of the old plugs look fouled?
can you check compression?
I'll answer in order no, not recently(new radiator about 5 mo ago),no fouled plugs, and I don't have tools to check compression but my buddy said he would help me this weekend If we don't have to work

Wayne Sihler said:
Its a little early but have you checked the play in the Distributor pick-up.A 4-3 code multi-cylinder misfire can be caused by this,a ticking sound can be heard and felt from the dist cap and some of the contacts will show signs of damage.
Wayne
There was some "dust"looked almost like graphite under the old cap

Stallacrew said:
I had #6 misfire and changed EVERYTHING and checked for vacuum leaks and EVERYTHING....on my RENIX that is. For almost 2 weeks ( inclusing the 100mile drive home from college ( and back)) I was running 85% power with really shitty vibrations. I thought my engine was f'd. checked for spark, ok, gas, none. what fixed it you may ask?

MY FUEL INJECTOR WAS UNPLUGGED.

I was pissed I has dropped so much money on plugs, wires, cap and button, coil, etc etc.......just to have an injector unplugged

It happens.

--Alex

Hallo. Buy a cheap stethescop to listen to the clicking sounds.:lecture: greetings

wim hoppenbrouwers said:
Hallo. Buy a cheap stethescop to listen to the clicking sounds.:lecture: greetings

Dont hark on me for not knowing.....I can remedy some stuff but I dont always think about things like an unplugged injector.

--Alex

Back