• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-brake

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
Does your function properly? How often do you use it? This is really only aimed at XJs with automatic transmissions, e-brakes are obviously alot more crucial in manual vehicles.

Just curious.

Last edited:
Yes it functions & yes i use it when stopped on steep hills.... otherwise i just leave her in park.

I never use it.

But yes it's more beneficial for a manual.....even though you can leave them in gear when parked, they can pop out and that's why an ebrake is necessary.

But for autos, some state's safety inspections require a working ebrake.

In massachusetts, where i learned to drive...it was the law to use the parking brake everytime u park...so out of habit i probably use it 6 out of 10 times i park my car (in indiana u dont have to use it to park).

Mine (though we call it a "hand brake" in Europe) is not particularly effective... and I drive a manual.

I normally just shove it into first when parking (let it roll a bit as it goes in, less likely to pop out), if I'm parking on a hill I will use the hand brake, but I don't trust it to hold on it's own.

Suppose I'll have to fix it before my next inspection... Janurary 2010.

(Yes, it has to work in all European countries as far as I know and you fail your driving test for not using it when parking and on hill-starts in the UK).

Last edited:
massscene said:
lmfao:yap:

not me. i hate it when douche bags take out my mailbox because they have no idea about ownership of a house or property.

sorry for the rant, just hate when others destroy someone elses property. if you want to break something, break your own stuff.

i don't use my e-brake on average daily stuff. but when parked on an incline, or while wheeling and flexed out, or parked on an incline, i use the ebrake, so it doesn't set the weight of the jeep on the gears. i've seen vehicles not come out of park once the weight of the vehicle sets on it.

89xj said:
not me. i hate it when douche bags take out my mailbox because they have no idea about ownership of a house or property.

sorry for the rant, just hate when others destroy someone elses property. if you want to break something, break your own stuff.

I don't think he was being serious with that comment, I think he was trying to make fun of ricers. Last time i tried drifting the xj it didn't end to hot...

rockclimber24315 said:
I don't think he was being serious with that comment, I think he was trying to make fun of ricers. Last time i tried drifting the xj it didn't end to hot...

is that how drifting is done, by pulling the ebake? i have no idea. arent drifters rear wheel drive? thought most ricers are front wheel drive? again i have no idea, im not into drifting.

89xj said:
is that how drifting is done, by pulling the ebake? i have no idea. arent drifters rear wheel drive? thought most ricers are front wheel drive? again i have no idea, im not into drifting.

Drifting can be done by pulling the e-brake, but most real drifters consider that cheating.

Most drifters are rear wheel drive(it's nearly impossible to drift with a FWD vehicle.) Most ricers aren't really into drifting, they're into gay street racing, if even that.

Mine currently doesn't work. I need to do a rear brake overhaul and correct it though. Out of all 4 XJ's...I've never had one with a 100% functioning e-brake, 100% of the time. 50%, 50% would be pushing it.

Back