• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Highway cruising RPM

Throttle said:
Can anyone tell me what RPM stock Cherokee's run while doin 60(100km/hr)mph?

60 MPH @ 2,000 RPM
75 MPH @ 2,400 RPM

See my sig.

Depends on a whole bunch of stuff, tire size, gears, etc. Mine with LT235's and 3:07'S runs about 1500rpm in 5th at 60, thats why I keep it in 4th till I get past 70mph...

COME ON. we need more info. Everyones rig's dif on here is diff based on tires, gears, transmission, tranfer case. DON'T ask a stupid ? without any input.

He did say stock Cherokees! Sounds like a newbie, so he may not be sure what he has, I am going to assume he means COMMON, stock cherokees, so AW4 automatic, 4.0 engine and 3.54 rear end, probably 2wd not that it matters. Mine is entirely stock, 87 4x4, with the largest stock tires, 235R75 15s. Mine runs between 2,100 and 2,400 rpm in 4th gear with the TQ Converter locked up, the 2,100 rpm being the minimal needed to maintain 60 mph on a flat road, and 2,300 to 2,400 going up a freeway overpass to maintain 60 mph.

Ecomike,
It sounds you have a torque converter slipping or it unlocks going up a hill. 2,400 RPM at 60 MPH for you verses 2,400 RPM at 75 MPH for me. The looses going up over passes are neglegible even in 4th and over drive. I do not think tire size alone could make that much difference.

IA Green 96 is correct. More info would be helpful. At least the engine and transmission type would be helpfull even if we are just compearing stock to stock XJ's.

techno1154 said:
Ecomike,
It sounds you have a torque converter slipping or it unlocks going up a hill. 2,400 RPM at 60 MPH for you verses 2,400 RPM at 75 MPH for me. The looses going up over passes are neglegible even in 4th and over drive. I do not think tire size alone could make that much difference.

IA Green 96 is correct. More info would be helpful. At least the engine and transmission type would be helpfull even if we are just compearing stock to stock XJ's.

I have actually tested mine to see how much throttle I can give it before the torque converter unlocks at 60 mph, and its about 2,400 rpm, if I give it more gas the torque converter will unlock and the rpms can then climb a lot higher. Perhaps the overpass rise was a bad choice of words, but we have some steep overpasses and bridges here. Gearing and tire size can make a big difference, but now that you mention it I am at about 70 mph at 2,400 rpm too, but on a flat road. Throw in an overpass, and on the down side I can do 75 mph at 1,200 rpm!!!! party1:

Sorry haha I was just trying to compare what a STOCK cherokee runs on the highway for RPM's to my 98 4.0L auto, with33s and 456 gears in it. I run about 2250 RPM doin 60mph(100klm/hr) and I wasn't sure if I was higher or lower than what the vehicle ran stock before the gears and tires.

techno1154 said:
Ecomike,
Uhhh, 4th is overdrive in the AW4, ?? It's pretty obvious in mine when the TC unlocks. I rechecked mine today, doing about 80 Houston overpasses, which may be steeper than your use to? On a flat stretch I am at 2250 rpm in 4th doing 60 mph, and 2400 rpm at 65 mph, and 2550 rpm at 70 mph. It also hits about 2,400 rpm at 60 going up an overpass if I want to hold 60 going up the overpass. If I push pass 2,400 rpm it would take about 1/2 WOT and would unlock the TC. I can't get past 2,400 rpm with out unlocking the TC when I am doing 60 mph.

I think the numbers at the bottom of the site you linked,

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm

for gears/tire size and vehicle speed combinations must be off, it shows me having a 4.11 gears, for my tires and vehicle speeds, but I have 3.54 dana 44s.

Last edited:
My stocker also runs around 2k@60 and 2400@75. My speeds are pretty accurate as I've verified them with GPS.

FYI: Mine's a 2wd, D35 with LSD, AW4.

Saudade said:
My stocker also runs around 2k@60 and 2400@75. My speeds are pretty accurate as I've verified them with GPS.

FYI: Mine's a 2wd, D35 with LSD, AW4.

Your RPM's are like mine but no Ecomike's. Maybe he should have his RPM and MPH verified with some known good instrument.

Back