• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bendix Seat Belts Suck?

Bill-93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have had another incident with the female latch mechanism on the factory original seat belts in my 1993 XJ. The first incident was when the internal spring on the driver's side broke. Last week the passenger side failed closed with my wife buckeled in. (She was able to extract herself by doing the limbo). Bendix made these pieces o'crap. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Thanks, Bill-93XJ

Bill-93XJ said:
I have had another incident with the female latch mechanism on the factory original seat belts in my 1993 XJ. The first incident was when the internal spring on the driver's side broke. Last week the passenger side failed closed with my wife buckeled in. (She was able to extract herself by doing the limbo). Bendix made these pieces o'crap. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Thanks, Bill-93XJ
I agree with you completely. I swapped in ones from a 94 or 95 Cherokee and they work absolutely fantastic. They also look the same as the one in ZJs do with the red plastic button. I think even though they are more plastic they work better than the original Bendix/GM ones did.

just for the record bendix makes the chrysler ones too (i put them in my 88) much better

I had problems with both front latches on my 95, more or less the same as Bill's. The driver's side broke and woudn't latch, and the passenger side became harder and harder to open. I replaced them, as I recall, with the ones out of an 89.

Thanks for the replies. Yep, I am going to swap them out. FWIW, Gotha is a tiny berg on the west side of Orlando, Florida. Bill-93XJ

Back