• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix problem, looking for advice.

comancheon33

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up an 89 MJ this weekend for a song. She is no beuaty queen but will hopefully make a good DD. Hoping to upgrade from my current 89 MJ 2.5 and keep miles off my 2003 Dodge Cummins.
Anyways the problem is I can't get it to run. It will stumble and try but won't fire and run. I have spark, proper fuel pressure, firing order is right also. It will crank and crank and then stumble and stall. The plugs are soaked now. I am beginning to think maybe CPS but I never seem to lose spark. I am going out to the garage after I eat to ohm it. Does anyone have any other idea? Thanks in advance.

Underhood is pretty much untouched. Prior owner replaced MAP and fuel pressure regulator. By the looks of the build up of untouched grease and oil the dizzy hasnt moved in years.

I wonder how long it has sat then, as the gas might be very stale and/or injectors gummed up. How about the fuel filter/ firing order/ etc, etc, etc?

Only around a couple months. He had records of when he replaced the alternator and 2 weeks later it started acting up. I got a few receipts from at the time of purchase. He told me he had it running a short time after that and drove it. Said it burned about 6 gallons of gas in 15-18 miles and ran as long as it was basically floored.
I am gonna do a compression test tomorrow and go from there. Plus a fresh set plugs and see if it will fire.

Somethings wrong if it burned that much fuel in that amount of miles. Is the TPS set correctly? have you looked at the injectors themselves. Might be spraying fuel constantly if they are gunked up. The constant fuel has flooded the cylinders and fouled the plugs too.

Oil is gassy smellin. TPS is at the right setting. I am picking up a set of plugs tomorrow and gonna swap out the ECT and see what happens. Floods all 6 cylinders so a stuck injector does not seem to be it at this time to me.

How thin is your oil? If you got alot of gas in there, you'll wash out your bearing if you drive alot.. You may need plug wires too. Cap an rotor?

I wanna get it running before I waste 20 bucks on an oil change. Once it runs I plan to drop the oil and filter. I don't plan on driving it with the the current oil in it.The cap rotor and wires are new.

If there is any gas in the oil at all you should change the oil before you even crank it over again, as the gas will dilute the oil, lower the compression and can damage the bearings, journals, cylinders and pistons, etc.

IAC may be pluged up!

Check the compression if you can. I had a junkyard XJ that behaved like that after someone had cooked the engine. It turned over, everything was set right, but with about 60 pounds compression in all 6 holes, it would not run.

Back