• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Load Capacity

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
what is the load capacity on one of these? I got an offer for a south bend lathe for free, thinking of gettin it, piece by piece if i have to. i have rubicon express 3.5 inch springs in the back too. mayb i should post in modified?

What's the lathe weigh, and how much of it can you fit in the back? Overload springs or airbags would be a huge help, but I once spent a week hauling in scrap metal about 1500# at a time in my 87 (3" Rancho & 31's.) Don't go too fast, think ahead, and try not to do any "panic maneouvres" and you should be fine. I'd stay off the freeway as well - no sense buying trouble when you get enough for free...

You should probably expect a little spring sag, tho, if you've a longish trip ahead of you. If that worries you, divide the load into trips of 500# or less, if possible.

i recently hauled a south bend 10 light in the back of mine, and it worked fine. if you are getting a 13" you might have to do it in pieces. my 10" weighs about 900 or so, i would guess a 13" would go about 1400 lbs.
what size lathe are you getting? it would be tough getting an assembled on in the back of a xj anyway.

it is def bigger than 10 or 13 center to center. like 30 or so. it is from a mcahine shop at a school. prob have to do it pieces, maybe 2 trips.

center of the chuck to the ways is the swing, double to get the inch ie. 10" or 13" inch. if it has an under drive motor, the motor is under the headstock, some concerns are if it is a flat belt drive, the belts are generally one piece and they are glued on around the pullies. if it is in good shape do not to cut it, as they can get expensive. if it is a hinged belt, you can pull the pin and slip the belt off.
good luck
oh and if someone is giving a lathe, always find a way to get it home.

I just brought 10 Dell rack mount power edge servers at 90lbs each, 4 48 port switches at 20lbs each and 6 other 20lb rack mount servers and assorted lcd displays, cabling, two 3800 routers at 20lbs and a 6ft steel EIA wheeled rack another 100lbs that I put up on the safari rack back from NYC last week, seemed OK, stock with LT235's. I for sure could feel the weight though. I did not bottom out though, even on NYC streets which we rate as green trails up here...
I'm going back over on Friday for more stuff, this time a whole bunch of 2400VA rack mount UPS's...

Back