• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2005 Dana 60 Question-

99xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so Ive searched and Googled this and didn’t come up with anything.

I have an opportunity to buy a fairly reasonably priced Dana 60 front axle disc to disc out of a 2005 Ford super duity. I know it has a metric lug pattern, but cant I simply change this by swapping out the hubs or the entire outers? I also cannot for the life of me figure out if it has the vacuum disconnect. I can find the years dodge used it, but I cant find any info on weather or not the new Fords ever used it in their newer truck.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

BakersfieldXJ said:
Ok so Ive searched and Googled this and didn’t come up with anything.

I have an opportunity to buy a fairly reasonably priced Dana 60 front axle disc to disc out of a 2005 Ford super duity. I know it has a metric lug pattern, but cant I simply change this by swapping out the hubs or the entire outers? I also cannot for the life of me figure out if it has the vacuum disconnect. I can find the years dodge used it, but I cant find any info on weather or not the new Fords ever used it in their newer truck.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

PM your email. I have this up to 2006 trucks

Saw something about which axles to stay away from in JP and it seems to me there was something in there about late model ford axles. May want to check it out

These axles use unit bearings, much like the Jeep bearings. Each is $400 give or take.
Not sure about swapping the outers, but the overall axle width of the 2005+ is wider than 2004 and prior Dana 60s in Superdutys to allow more backspacing and bigger diameter rims to have less scrub radius. All part of the redesign for 2005.

Unless the axle has lockout hubs(warn), it will have vacuum disconnect hubs. There will be a tube nipple near the balljoint for the vacuum hose. I capped mine off on my 2000 and installed Warn hubs.

BakersfieldXJ said:
Unless I missed it that list on goes up to 2002 on the ford trucks.

sorry bout that thought I had the new stuff on there also.
I wish I know who made the list s I can give proper credit

jeep wagon said:
1997 was the last year that the D60 was uesed. 1998 and up are D50's
Wrong.
Dana 60s were used in all 98 up F350 dualies, but F250/F350 SRWs had the Dana 50. From 2002 to current, all F250s and F350s came with the Dana 60.

Currently swapping one in from a 05. Just get the rear axle too and you don't have to worry about the wheel pattern. 35 splines all around. The hubs are manual and vacuum actuated. Only problem is there is about .5" of tube exposed on the driver side, I welded my lca and spring perch right to the cast tube section of the housing (just today actually), hopefully it will hold up fine.

jeep wagon said:
My bad the D60 was uesed in 98-04 Super Duty's.

Its ok, we all make mistakes. BTW, they still use them today. We should have a :cheers:

If you have a 50, then somebody swapped thier 50 for the 60 you should have. Maybe it was me when I installed my 60 in place of the 50.:dunno:

Ya after researching it with my crew I decided even for $200 its not worth it. It cant be converted like Id hoped, the lugs wrong, I dont want a sterling rear. The front Im looking at doesnt have the matching rear, so I dont want to have to deal w/ finding a new style rear.

I think Im going to stick to my orignal plan and get a king pin dana 60 and a 1 ton full floating 9".

Check out Currie, they will modify a stock Ford unit bearing to 5 on 5.5 for a reasonable cost. Might be an option if you get the diff cheap.

Ramsey said:
Currently swapping one in from a 05. Just get the rear axle too and you don't have to worry about the wheel pattern. 35 splines all around. The hubs are manual and vacuum actuated. Only problem is there is about .5" of tube exposed on the driver side, I welded my lca and spring perch right to the cast tube section of the housing (just today actually), hopefully it will hold up fine.
Will there be pics and a write up? :photo:

Pics yes.

Here is the write up...

cut off old crap, weld on new crap, attach axle.

I havent checked for sure with a straight tie rod but it looks like you wont be able to run one. The factory one has two bends in it and even it comes close.

Back