• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AIR BAG light & no horn

renomn1

NAXJA Forum User
My air bag light is flashing about every ten seconds or as it pleases and my air horns aren't working. they worked this morning but now the don't. It seems to coinside with the flashing air bag light. Any help?

you broke your roll connector (aka spiral cable,clockspring), recent lift??? that'll do it!!!

Most guys lift therer vehicles and don't re-center the steering properly, the clockspring is like a flat ribbon wound inside a box, Once you turn all the way one way snap!!! This cost my buddy $700 to fix after a lift on a 07 tacoma

Clock Spring and maybe the wiring harness too. Had them both replaced about a year ago. Has nothing to do with centering the steering wheel (at least that is what I was told). It is a common problem with the XJ's.

definately clockspring. I had the same problem about a year and a half ago went and got it fixed at the dealership cost aout $350 total to replace. If you have cruise control you should notice that that doesn't work anymore either.

Get a new clockspring,probably have to go to the dealer.You might be able to find one used,but a lot of salvage yards won't sell air bag components because of liability issues.Disconnect BOTH battery cables and let the system power down for 10 minute.Take off the air bag module and disconect it,take off steering wheel(you'll need a steering wheel puller to get it off).The clockspring sets behind the steering wheel.remove the old one(I believe it just snaps into place)If you get a new one it should allready be centered,otherwise turn the center section clockwise until it stops(don't force it).then turn it two and a half turns counter clockwise.It has an arrow on it and it should point staight up.Snap it on the steering shaft install the steering wheel and air bag,hook up your battery and your good to go.

Good luck. Try a junkyard for a replacement if you don't have one already, $20 beats $140 by a long shot. You can use one out of a 97 to 2001 XJ.

Great seeing someone actually update the thread and say what the end result was! :thumbup: It's pretty rare, I didn't even realize this thread was from two years ago till I scrolled up.

Back