• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Champion Truck/SUV Plugs?

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
I know that Jeeps love the plain copper Plugs, But I've been told to run the Truck/SUV copper plugs I've used them before and had no problems...any suggestions? I was also told to use autolite wires.

I am running the Truck plugs 4412's. No problem w/ Napa wires. autolite wires should be fine, I used to run the autolite plugs with no negative side effects.

There are a ton of spark plug threads in here. one titled "Best Spark Plug for 4.0"

Is it bad I'm more excited about doing a full tune and flush to my Jeep than buying something for the girlfriend?

Last edited:
jeepman121 said:
Atleast I know my Jeep won't bang the neighbor :)

Yup, and it won't get bitchy if you go ride another jeep either...

RichP said:
Yup, and it won't get bitchy if you go ride another jeep either...

I disagree, sometimes I think my jeeps compete with each other for my TLC time, even more so than my ex ever did, LOL, :roflmao:

Well, the tune up is complete and low and behold the previous owner was running Bosch Platinum's (sigh) The champion truck plugs are great. no more hesitations at idle and better throttle response. Hope fully my fuel mileage will increase from the 12 mpg I was getting!

I always use Delco plugs. I've been using Delcos for years and can say that OEM style plugs are almost always better, what ever metal is used on the electroded. I bought a 1986 caprice with a 350 (It was a truck engine pulled from a 1990 chevy) and it had autolite truck plugs. They looked really bad (ceramic was all broken down on electode) and i switched to regular autolite platnums, they were even worse. I switced to NGK, got better. Then a friend of mine had a set of Delco copper plugs he didnt need becuase he switched to a MSD ignition and used some exotic plug. So i checked them over and they were that same build, put them in. That was 6 years ago and the guy I sold the car to came in for a tune up last spring and i changed everything but the plugs, they were perfect.

Most mechanics I work with use 1.89 Delco plugs on all their cars. They are just better. Also, the biggest difference in plugs are the heat ranges and gap. I get a kick out of people buying plugs that are "100,000 mile" tripple platnum plugs becuase they end up changing them after 20,000 anyway.

I know Delco's are great for GM"s But I've been told by many mechanics, and jeep owners that copper champions are the way to go on a 4.0. The engineers at Jeep probably knew what they were doing when they put champs in Jeeps....I've heard many testimonies of 300,000 and 400,000+ miles on 4.0's on $1.77 Champion coppers. And your right, people hear the word platinum and assume that it's better when sometimes it's actually far worse the Boschs I pulled out were in really bad shape.

jeepman121 said:
I know Delco's are great for GM"s But I've been told by many mechanics, and jeep owners that copper champions are the way to go on a 4.0. The engineers at Jeep probably knew what they were doing when they put champs in Jeeps....I've heard many testimonies of 300,000 and 400,000+ miles on 4.0's on $1.77 Champion coppers.

Yeah thats true about GM's, but many people run Delcos in lots of non-GM makes and models. I know as fact that Champion Coppers are great plugs in just about any engine, Jeep or not. They are OEM designed plugs that have way more research invested into them. Bosch plugs work well in a few engines, but not many. Autolite are not much better than Bosch IMO. NGK is my 3rd choice after Delco and Champion.

Right, It Killed me when My girlfriends 4 cyl Sunfires plugs and wires were $100 and my Jeeps were $40 She had to have Delco platnum

jeepman121 said:
Right, It Killed me when My girlfriends 4 cyl Sunfires plugs and wires were $100 and my Jeeps were $40 She had to have Delco platnum

Hahah, I know the feeling. I stay away from platinum plugs, they are like everything else being sold to us as ultra premium, high end, extreme, long life, high performance, high quality, better millage blah blah blah ...(add advertising slogan here). Its 90% crap. Junk made up to sell you something you don't need for 10X the price of what you really need.

I have been using Autolite single platinum AP3924 spark plugs for 25,000 miles on my 87 Renix, 4.0 that has 250,000 miles on it, with no problems from the plugs. I also use autolight single platinum on my son's ford taurus with no problems.

Ecomike said:
I have been using Autolite single platinum AP3924 spark plugs for 25,000 miles on my 87 Renix, 4.0 that has 250,000 miles on it, with no problems from the plugs. I also use autolight single platinum on my son's ford taurus with no problems.

Everything is relative.

Back