• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some opinions on a used locker...

BruceB83

NAXJA Forum User
I found somebody selling a used EZ locker for a Dana 30. I would need to get a spring and pin kit. I asked what caused the breakage and he said the axle housing broke and snapped all 4 pins...he also said the dogs look fine and aren't rounded off. I've read that getting ahold of a spring kit can be sometimes be a PITA. I don't know the exact cost of a spring kit but I wouldn't pay more than about $75 for the locker. Now to my question...

Would you buy an EZ locker that has been removed because the axle housing broke without being able to physically inspect it? I know the basics about lockers but I'm not sure if there could be more damage present that he isn't aware of...is this likely?

Thanks guys...just wanting to see some opinions about buying a used locker like this. What would you guys do?

I wouldnt even buy a NEW "Ez-Locker".

Thanks but that's pretty much useless without an explanation.

Right now, I don't do any "extreme" rock-crawling. This is my temporary rig until I get my newer one (that'll be my 5th) and then I have to figure out my plans from there. I am used to having a more capable rig than my 3" on 30's so I figured it couldn't hurt if I picked up a locker on a good deal.

RCP Phx said:
I wouldnt even buy a NEW "Ez-Locker".

X2 They are crap but that is why they are cheap!:peace:

ColoradoRaptor said:
X2 They are crap but that is why they are cheap!:peace:

Yeah I know they're not the best but like I said, if I can get it for 50 or 75...

Ok...maybe I'll leave it alone and resist the temptations...:rattle:

do a search here on EZ Locker and make your own opinion... i too wouldnt buy even a new EZ again.. used LockRight would be a different story.. they had a rash of "bad" new lockers a few years ago and they were just "going bad" almost instantly.. a spring kit should be pretty cheap. but the few times ive seen a EZ or Lockright shear their pins it was accompanied by small cracks and chips in the body of the locker..
i'd stay away, or the very least dont have very high expectations.. it could very well be fine. but the removal/installation required to troubleshoot it a few times if it gives problems, more than offsets the $$ you saved over a new one..

sidriptide said:
do a search here on EZ Locker and make your own opinion... i too wouldnt buy even a new EZ again.. used LockRight would be a different story.. they had a rash of "bad" new lockers a few years ago and they were just "going bad" almost instantly.. a spring kit should be pretty cheap. but the few times ive seen a EZ or Lockright shear their pins it was accompanied by small cracks and chips in the body of the locker..
i'd stay away, or the very least dont have very high expectations.. it could very well be fine. but the removal/installation required to troubleshoot it a few times if it gives problems, more than offsets the $$ you saved over a new one..

I have searched. Forget it...I'm staying away from it. It was a quick thought because I ran across an inexpensive buy but like you said, the time/money spent troubleshooting or replacing it isn't worth $100 to me. :twak:...to myself...I'm no half-donkey butt'r...ha ha ha!

Back