• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel gauge issues.....

01sesedan

NAXJA Forum User
Well guys, Just can't seem to find one that's completely without issues. I found a 98 with about 125,000 on it, it a 4x4, 4.0, automatic. Looks like the fuel gauge does not work at all, so I'll have to begin troubleshooting but as worst case, I guess the sending unit would need to be replaced.

Went to the dealer to get an idea what it would cost for a complete sending unit kit would cost....$425.00, if it's only the sending unit, it goes for $45. Labor is about 3 hrs at $89per hour....

I've searched the site and someone indicated there is a seller on ebay that sells oem parts at a good price.

How hard of a job would this be? I think I should be able to handle it, I've replaced engines and transmissions before on other cars.(twice for the engine and 3x for transmissions)

The seller is asking for $4000 but I'm not sure how much to drop the price by. How much do you guys think I ask? Hope you could give me some pointers.
Thanks..

Drain tank, pick up new tank straps in case the originals don't come out intact.
Pull pump assembly and replace. Thats it.
It's a common thing, in fact it was a factory recall in 97.

01sesedan said:
Wonder if the 98's were also recalled? Maybe not...got to check..

Thanks for the input...
Nope, and for the record my 98 was built in aug of 97 and was still not covered.

Back