• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first ever major project on my 99 XJ...

Guess I should preface this by saying that after 6 years of being fascinated with and wanting a lift kit for my XJ, I ended up biting the bullet and getting a Rubicon express 3.5" Super ride kit + BFG All-terrains a few weeks ago. And today, the son of a close family friend, who does this as a hobby, is installing my kit (and yes, I have helped out!)

Well, my friend started working on my XJ at around 12.30pm this afternoon, and after 2 trips to Lowe's and a trip to Pep Boys to get the right size rear u-bolts (they sent the wrong kind in the kit) it's still not done. In fact, he hasn't even started on the front yet.

So...I'm back home trying to get some homework done and kill some time and hopefully it won't take much longer...

With me, if it can go wrong, it usually will...lol

Pics to come shortly.

Oh, and yes, I did help and get my hands dirty..
icon_wink.gif

Here's what we're installing:

4x Pro Comp ES3000 shox (w/ red boots)
RE 6025 Super ride 3.5" w/ full rear leaf springs
4x BFG A/Ts size 30x9.5x15

Wish me luck! I'm hoping to have it ready to drive home before midnight! haha

I would have gone bigger with the tire size, but everyone has their own preferences. 30x9.50's are gonna look pretty puny in the wheel wells. At least you wont be breaking anything with that size, haha.

This is a Jeep I just bought. It's got the same tires as you and a 3.5" Rough Country lift. My plan is to relocate the fenders along with a little trimming to be able to fit 33's.

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

Yeah i agree, the 30's will look a bit small, you might want to see if you can get some 31's. I just finished installing the lift, and its good. You will have your work cut out for you, but its rewarding. PB blast everything. If you got the quick disconnects try to just use the existing bolts on the axle cause those were a pain in the ass. The front took the longest to do. Here is mine with the lift and 31 BFG all terrains. GOOD LUCK.
000_0114-1.jpg

Here is my Thread. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=940431

PEACE

Less talky, more worky..

Can't wait to see it Katie..

JeepFreak21 said:
Did your friend know this going into it? :D

Good luck!
Billy

Haha he's also a member of that club! He said that whenever he installs lifts, it always takes longer than he thinks it will. He told me he could have it done in 3-4 hrs...haha he's not done with it yet, he still has the front part to do and a tc drop, and mounting the bigger tires.

As for the tire size, I was worried about losing accel but since I found out that's usually only a problem with highway speeds (my XJ never sees the highway) I'm thinking I should have gone bigger.

And I may be selling these tires shortly and upgrading to 31s, so if anyone wants 4 brand new 30s, stay tuned! ;)

I'm a decent mechanic and I worked (see also toiled) by butt off for 23 hrs straight getting my RE 3.5" super ride lift installed. Things never go the same from Jeep to Jeep so it is hard to compare. It is a bonding experience.

I also went with 31" BFG's and do not regret the decision. Jeepers driving stock XJ's usually look my rig up, down, and sideways so I know it looks good. That's pretty much how I look at XJ's on 35's. My wife says I'm never satisfied, but I'll leave that for another discussion.

There's enough of my blood on my jeep for it to be a relation... and enough cussing to make a sailor blush

X2!!!!!!

... yeah i broke the sway bar bolts and a rear leaf spring bolt. thanks turfzilla they do look alike...

Turfzilla said:
Heck, you still gotta break off some shock bolts at least. I do not think anylift has ever been installed with out breaking at least one shock bolt.
Hey Renegade: nice classic, mirror image of mine!

sorry about the clicky:

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii61/Turfzilla/PC220277.jpg

hehe, i managed to not break off any shock bolts..........i did haveta cut off the whole left LCA tho. rear went easy as pie, front was a lil more difficult, ended up using a comealong to pull the axle back forward attached to my brothers willys project

Is this a thread for white cherokees? here is what mine looks like with the same lift and same size tires. I have bought some boomerang shackles to put on it. I have to get some spacers to level it out after the shackles are on. I thinking it will be about an inch higher when I'm done.
aug15004.jpg

Hey Semper Fi, I like that diamond plate you got on there! Does it help protect against rocks, etc well? Hell, I'd put it on mine for looks alone! hehe thanks for sharing!

And BTW, mine's a red XJ :D

PS what size tires r u running?

Last edited:
Here's a before pic:

dscf3718cd5.jpg

He should have the lift on by tomorrow evening (read: He better have the damn thing on by tomorrow evening! lol) so I will take lots of 'after' pics for everyone!

NCjeepgirl83 said:
Hey Semper Fi, I like that diamond plate you got on there! Does it help protect against rocks, etc well? Hell, I'd put it on mine for looks alone! hehe thanks for sharing!

And BTW, mine's a red XJ :D

PS what size tires r u running?

The diamond plate does protect the body from rocks but not the way a slider does. It protects more from rocks being thrown from the tires. I like the way it looks and it was cheap. I paid $22 for the diamond plate on both sides and a 1 inch T-case drop.

The tires are General Grabber AT'2 and they are 265/70/16's. Good cheap tire. I have had them for about 10,000 miles now and they still look new. They also look very much like the BFG AT tires, but at half or less the price of the BFG. I paid $90 a piece for them and then $50 to have all 4 mounted and balanced.

Back