• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing 231 output shaft

jrowell

NAXJA Forum User
My 87 231 bombed after 300,000 miles. I ended up getting a Trans. and Tcase out of a 94. I have them both out and sitting on a table. My 87 Tcase has a RE HackNTap SYE kit. What would be easier, swapping the HackNTap output shaft over to the 94 Tcase or Hacking and Tapping the 94's output shaft?

I have never been inside of a 231, but I've heard it's not too hard to change output shafts. I also remember cutting and tapping the 87's output shaft was a pita.

Thanks for any guidance.

Jeremy

If you swap it, you can change the front output seal, check the chain and give it a through cleaning before running it again. ???? I would lean toward being sure everything is OK and freshening it up.

are they the same spline count? didnt they go from 21 to 23 spline one year?

i dont know that they are interchangeable...someone smart will post up and say yes or no :)

JNickel101 said:
are they the same spline count? didnt they go from 21 to 23 spline one year?

i dont know that they are interchangeable...someone smart will post up and say yes or no :)

I believe that the shaft between the Tranny & T-case changed (part of the reason I'm swapping both at the same time)

The Rear output shaft I believe is the same. I know I can get an HD output shaft. But my CFO will not let me at this time...

I just want to know if it is an easy swap, and if there is anything I should look at while I'm there. The 94's Tcase only has about 100,000 mile on it. And was really never put into 4x4. I know the gal that wrecked the jeep. The tranny Tcase combo is really clean.

the tear down and back together your first time will take about 3 to 4 hours. Get a pair of good snap ring pliers and just look up some sye how toos here and you will find how to open it up, check it out, and put it back together. To do what you want is basically the same thing as adding a sye kit. Personally, i would do the kit since you have the case open, and sell the hack and tap. this would give you a larger diam. output shaft.

NighthawkXJ said:
To do what you want is basically the same thing as adding a sye kit. Personally, i would do the kit since you have the case open, and sell the hack and tap. this would give you a larger diam. output shaft.

Ya, I hear what you are saying. But 200 for the SYE kit and then 200 for new driveline... my wife is already burnt at my spending habits. Gotta let the Credit Cards cool off awhile 8>(

Besides, the Hack N Tap has worked fine for me for over 6 years. Hard to justify replacing something that has worked for so long.

Back