• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cut and Fold rear fender wells?

boomer1

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone
Did the search, couldn't find what I'm really looking for.

Everyone talks about cutting and folding under the rear fender well lips for more clearance. I was trying to find where some one actually had pictures and details posted of the cuts they made before they folded the edge under.

Not sure how far up to cut, and how far to space the cuts along the lip, between the spot welds, to make for a nice clean fold.

Any suggests on what to use to fold the lip under, without doing to much damage to the paint would be helpful.

Really would like to see some pictures of the process, as I don't want to screw it up.

I was able to cut and fold only using 2 cuts and a regular hammer. When I get home I will post pictures for you if you want. I just made two 45deg cuts in the top left and right corners of the wheel wells and started beating the edge over. I cut deep enough to help the folding process in the corners but no so far as to go past the fender lip into the wheel well.

Make sure you clean the back side of the lip before folding begins so you can use some RTV to keep dirt/water from causing rust. When the lip is almost folded back onto itself add the RTV and then finish bending the lip over. It will smush out the excess and you will have a perfect seal in the wheel well opening.

Some people use a lot of cuts, about an inch apart. I did like j33pownr said and made just two cuts. I started folding the edges over using vice grips. Then finished it off with a hammer.

Back