• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The easy 14b shave thread

mk153smaw

NAXJA Forum User
Here is my first part of the easy 14b thread. I now have all my parts the total cost of this build is :

1986 14b SRW axle from yard $29 (with shafts and 4.56 gears w/noslip)
JKS Shock relocators $75 (with shipping)
RuffStuff Stupid strong spring perches $65 (with shipping)
C&C hubs converted to 5 on 5.5 $340 (with shipping and disc brake adapters)
1984 Cadillac Eldorado disc brake calipers with e-brake $20
Spankin new rotors from Mineke for the 5 on 5.5 $30 for the set
Assorted welding $300 (use of high nickle rods drive up cost)
1989 front XJ driveshaft $5
RE Hack and TAP $140 (ebay) for the NP242

So far $1004.... not bad for almost an idiot proof rear.

Ok this is what was started with
DSCF0727.jpg

I set up the working jig to be at the same height as the D35C so anyone looking at this thread who had a dead basic XJ could see how it would change the stock setup. So an XJ with a D35C sitting on 31", which is usually where one starts thinking bigger axles because they want bigger tires safely, is at 14 1/2" from ground to center of axle shaft with 33lbs psi (@70deg F) with BFG AT KO's.

I am going to skip the tear down phase. If you cant figure out how to tear down the axle and clean it up, this build may be beyond you.Not a slight to anyone, just a decent measure of what you need to know to do this.

Ok the first thing I did was create a jig for my circular saw out of a framing truss support that I bought from Home depot and attached it to a piece of 1/2" MDF so I could bolt it to the housing. I measured where I wanted to cut, screwed the board to exactly enought to guide the saw and mounted it to the pumpkin.

P1010001-3.jpg

Once attached, I made a few passes with the saw going about 1/4" each time to keep it easy. It is slow but it saves on the blade as evidenced by my first try at just trying to cut it all and the blade in the photo breaking up.
The 7" blade will not cut all the way, leaving about 1" to go. I took my 4" angle cutter and finished off the rest with a 90deg cut. I did that because I figured once the pinion angle is set up that portion will be raised at a safe angle and the new metal will be in the "slide" area which rocks will hit.

Here is where I spend money. I have no welder so I went over to M3 welding in Fort Worth to have them attach my 1/2" metal stock to the bottom of the pumpkin. It is welded on the outside and the inside.
P1010005-1.jpg

The cut you see is what I put in there after it was welded with my 4" grinder. This axle build is the one I am doing for bottom budget that anyone can do. My other build I am having the ring gear shaved 1/4" or more to allow for no cut in the new piece. With that being said the cut leaves a 1/4" or so area of metal left for gasket seal. That is not bad considering that is all you get around the other bolt holes also, so no biggie there.
Currently I have the kit set up on the jig for measurement of the spring perches and confirmation of the pinion angle to be used.
NOTE I just finished an MS Excel file that calculates driveshaft angles for any setup.
I am too lazy to keep going and trying test angles so I sat down with the tape measure, graph paper, and the trusty calculator. I used the measurment from the ground to the TC output center and the measurement to the Pinion center. I use the good old Pythagorian Theory to calculate angle, yay Algebra actually does get used in life?! The TC only has two angles which most will deal with, stock or 1" drop. My pinion calculator has a +/- 5deg arc to give option for Dbl cardon or Stock type. It does require the user to input DS legnth.
P1010003-2.jpg

In the current configuration it has a clearence of almost 9"!!! and that is at the measurement with 31" tires! imagine what you have with bigger.
The WMS is 63". So for those of you who are asking, that is only 1.5" bigger than the stock D35C with 61.5" (measured off of a D35C carcass in a junk yard) which means I only need a 1.5 spacer up front to even things out or.......... BTW the Rubicon D44 front is 61.5 WMS. Now that sounds like a nice combo.

This is then end for the first part of the build. I just broke my hand (something stupid with a wrench on another project) and will be getting it casted tomorrow morning. I will be back on it Thursday and should have it finished welded (to include the tubes to the pumpkin) and painted this weekend.

My latest mod

P1010001-4.jpg

It just makes it more fun now ;)

Finish welding is tomorrow.

Ok update

Here is final mock up on this shave. I got a welder driving up tomorrow.

P1010002-5.jpg

Sexy new paint. ;)

P1010003-3.jpg

JKS mounts and Ruff Stuff perches

P1010005-2.jpg

Yes Mom, that is 9" of clearance from a 14b that will be sitting on 31's while I save for my 33" discovery STT's

Running a 14B on 31's, waiting to run it on 33's? Hell Im shaving mine, and it will be attatched to some 42's. That sounds like its still gonna drag like hell, even with the clean shave job. Why not have just thrown a 9", 8.8, or even a 8.25 in? Plan on running 37+" tires sometime?

Ya I too was wondering why a 14b was needed for 31s, and then going up to 33's?

Begster said:
Ya I too was wondering why a 14b was needed for 31s, and then going up to 33's?

Because he can!

Yeah later on I will have 38's.

The 9" is the hieght with weight. I took the center axle measurement from the set installed currently and used that for the jig setup.

For the price I did ths setup, you cant build a better 9", 8.8, or 44. this has more clearance and is stronger with stock components.

and with 33's 10" of clearance is alot for a 3" lift. I am more in love with the floating axles for the rare occasion I might mess one up.

What I am doing though is running the basic ujoints. I would rather have the ujoint to be the weak link as opposed breaking a yoke ear or something else sickeningly bad.

mk153smaw said:
Yeah later on I will have 38's.

The 9" is the hieght with weight. I took the center axle measurement from the set installed currently and used that for the jig setup.

For the price I did ths setup, you cant build a better 9", 8.8, or 44. this has more clearance and is stronger with stock components.

and with 33's 10" of clearance is alot for a 3" lift. I am more in love with the floating axles for the rare occasion I might mess one up.

What I am doing though is running the basic ujoints. I would rather have the ujoint to be the weak link as opposed breaking a yoke ear or something else sickeningly bad.

Ok, 38's would be more like it. Yeah its cheap, that why im building a 14B rear, but im going to be needing that strength :D. I'll be in mine for ~$800 and thats heavily shaved (I plan on taking ~9/16" or more off the ring gear, all depending on pinion contact), disc'd, 5.38's and a detroit. Not bad for something I know I won't be able to break. Your smart in keeping the u-joint on the driveshaft your weak point, other wise the next link in your chain will be the T-case. I fully agree as well on the whole full floater deal, nothing like being able to swap axle shafts in a whole 2 minutes. :D One potential thing you might have problems with the the actual wieght of the 1 ton axle on parts that aren't meant to see much more than a 1/2 ton axle. But since you've disc'd it, it shouldnt be AS much of a problem.

mk153smaw said:
1984 Cadillac Eldorado disc brake calipers with e-brake $20
Spankin new rotors from Mineke for the 5 on 5.5 $30 for the set

Nice. How did you get the Eldorado calipers for $20? I paid an ungodly amount for mine, the core charge alone is way more than that.
Same with the rotors. My D60 with an ARB, 5.13s and alloys came to about $1500, not counting the disk brakes. I'm doing something wrong here, lol.

Sierra Drifter said:
Nice. How did you get the Eldorado calipers for $20? I paid an ungodly amount for mine, the core charge alone is way more than that.
Same with the rotors. My D60 with an ARB, 5.13s and alloys came to about $1500, not counting the disk brakes. I'm doing something wrong here, lol.

went to the local pick and pull on a 50% off day, which is just about every wednesday here in Fort Worth.
Yeah those brakes can be expensive sometimes, but so well worth it for having an e-brake again. Although I never use my e-brake, I like having the ability to use it when I want.
I did find a new transfercase brake setup for under 150 that looked kind cool and useful for an e-brake.

Sometimes I think it is a waste to get alloys for a 60 or a 14b since you can get OEM shafts for around $10, sometimes free. I have a couple extra sets for that rare occasion if I break one.

mk153smaw said:
Sometimes I think it is a waste to get alloys for a 60 or a 14b since you can get OEM shafts for around $10, sometimes free. I have a couple extra sets for that rare occasion if I break one.

Alloys for 14B yes, but you couldn't be more wrong on a D60. Obviously you haven't had to change shafts enough, nor had to change the in very worst of situations. Hell, the 30 spline outers are twigs. Not only that but if you have the neck down inners, its well worth it to change. Not only that, but D60s have MANY different shafts types/lengths. There are many instances where a shaft from one D60 will not fit a D60 from the same model.

True I havent had alot of experience with 60's.

Hehe, I may never work with the best, but I do work with the most common ;)

so fill me in on your setup, you have a D30 right? and a 14b rear installed now? or are you waiting for a different front axle? :dunno:

Yeah still looking for a D60 from an old f250. Although a member of our local Jeep club, Zilla, has a burly rig that sports a 30 up front and that guy thrashes it hard. I guess I still need to decide the absolute cost of the d60 install over buying beefy components for the D30.
I am on 32's right now so I haven't got a pressing need to beef up just yet. I eventually want to run much bigger though and really wheel hard on rocks.

so... hows your unibody/leafs/shocks holding up to a one ton axle pushing on it?

I broke two D30 shafts on 30's but nothing yet on 32's. I blame the AutoZone ujoints, they are apparently what snapped first and then caused the yoke ears to touch, in turn snapping the safts.

FYI only ha.

Back