• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Compression in cylinder

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
My friend is selling his jeep, really cheap because the mechanic said that cylinder #6 has no compression, and it'll run rough but stalls at an idle. Now I've only done a little research but would stroking the engine fix this problem? Its cheap enough I'd buy it and make it my summer project if so.

well, nt by itself, stroking it is making the stroke larger but to do this, you need to rebuild the internals, if you found the source of the compression loss, which could be all different kinds of things from broke rings, hole in piston, blown head gasket, valvetrain etc. while you had it dissasembled, you could fix that too, plus youd hve a "stroker" motor. but once you get into the motor, and machinework for stroking and a fresh crank, your idea of cheap goes out the window.

Um...yes...you have junkyards and about eleventy billion websites that sell new/reman/rebuilt 4.0-4.7L engines (stock or stroked)

Hesco
Titan
Golen

just to name a few

you'd be better off just pulling the head and seeing if you could find why there's no compression in that particular cylinder. Once you find out the problem, then see how much it would be to fix it, OR, if you'd be better off buying a new engine.

A lot of places that do rebuilt/reman engines require a core engine to be sent back to them, so...

You may be able to get a better idea of whats wrong. Do a cylinder leak test. Pull the spark plug on cyl 6. Get the cylinder up to top dead center and use an air compressor to pressurize the cylinder. I made an adapter but they sell them .If the exhaust valve is burned you will hear it hissing in the exhaust. If its the intake it will hiss in the intake/throttle body. If it was blown between cylinders, you would hear it coming out of cylinder 5 if the plug was out. (I know you said 6 only. Just explaining) THE CRANK WILL WANT TO TURN WHEN DOING THIS TEST. Get someone to help you or have a shop do it. DO NOT get your girlfriend to hold the breaker bar on the crank. Its not like 500 hp trying to turn the crank on you, but it will try to turn and COULD hurt you. This is just one way to try and know a little more about what your up against. Had a slant 6 burn an exhaust valve and found it this way. Lined up a rebuilt head/gaskets, etc. and did it all in one afternoon and kept on driving.

Back