• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

using fullsize springs to bastardize??

jeppo

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, im lookin to redo my rears, and im lookin to AAL without removing the main spring, i can get a rear pack off a pre 87 chev 1/2t for free so here is my question...

when i look at the daystar site, they list one short aal for the xj, that also is used on the s-truck. then they list a different short one for the fs 1/2, 3/4 and 1t truck from 73->98, then they also list a long type aal, that is for the s-truck and the 1/2t & up, anyways, lengths aside, i thought the xj spring was 2.35" and the gm 1/2t was 2.5, but has anyone used the gm leaf (even using the full main leaf which is also a option ) in any configurations?? i do not mind them being a bit stiff. i am looking for 4" and i figured i might do main xj and the 2 lower 1/2t leafs, or maybe just swapping the 2nd over and reusing 3&4 from the stock xj pack.

id rather spend the saved money on things like adjustable arms and also if i go with the re full length aal, ill need a sye, so if i can get the same lift for free and put $50 into a sye id do that. i expect il need a sye, i have a bb and im going to put on 32's and i'm looking for low buck, but not low quality. and minimal trimming.

Before I got the RE full pack I used a bastard pack which consisted of Dakota rear pack with the eyes cut off and my original main leaf (For the eye) put together. If I hadn't already added them to a scrap pile of steel that went to the scrapyard months ago I would have changed back. That bastard pack rode better and sagged under load less than the complete pack that I spent a bundle on. So bottom line is "make your own" you'll be happier.

I used '77 Chev 1/2T leafs
I need to redo my packs because it doesn't sit as high as the front but it rides better then the front suspension as well as out flexing it!

Back