• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

open coolant recovery tank

magimerlin

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I changed my system over a while back and have been using a 20oz bottle (between the airfilter box and inner fender) for the overflow tank. My Cherokee is an 89 4.0 auto. What is everyone else usingfor an overflow tank. I am not going to route a line over to the old serge tank so that is out. What other recovery tank from other vehicles work that yall have come across. I have used the SEARCH botton already and my current schedule doesnt allow me to get to the junk yard/bone yard. Pics and ideas as what year and model vehicles tank might fit would be helpfull. Thank you.

I had been using a 1 liter Nalgene bottle with a brass fitting for the hose inlet... but after going through two in six months I just fot tired of replacing them. I now have a bottle for an 88 4cyl on order. As far as my parts book shows, it should fit in-between the airbox and the fenderwall. I will have to move some things around but I think it will work quite nicely.

xjwisconsin said:
I had been using a 1 liter Nalgene bottle with a brass fitting for the hose inlet... but after going through two in six months I just fot tired of replacing them. I now have a bottle for an 88 4cyl on order. As far as my parts book shows, it should fit in-between the airbox and the fenderwall. I will have to move some things around but I think it will work quite nicely.
The front wiring harness is the main problem with it fitting. The harness is so thick, it won't allow the bottle to be pushed down all the way. You will also have to move the fan relay, EGR solenoid and ballast resistor (if you're still using them). I tried to make this work on my 1990 when I converted it but gave up because I couldn't figure out a way to easily reroute the harness. xjwisconsin, if you figure out a way please do a write up for people who might look at this in the future.

Back