• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle shafts.

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
my buddy tore into his axle to figure out why its clicking. ended up finding out the wheel bearing was messed up. and it messed up one of his shafts too. his question: go with a used shaft, or just buy a new one? his jeep is completly stock.

Depends on the mileage of the used shaft and the difference to go new. You already know that. I travel far so I try to keep everything as new as poss. If hes staying around town and dont want to spend a lot. go used. If traveling far pay attention to any noise and lift it up and wiggle things to check for loose parts before heading out. I went to Co last summer. Maiden voyage after lift and extensive work and I was nervous as a whore in church. Made it with no problems to speak of. Moab is next:)

xalexjx said:
You can buy cv axle shafts through napa auto parts. Just under 100 bucks a side.

I'm assuming it was a rear axle. On the D35 c-clip, the bearing runs directly on the shaft and if it goes south can damage the axle. I have heard of sleeving the damaged axle facing and running a different bearing. Personally, I'd hit the junkyard and grab a new shaft. Replace the bearings and seals on both sides and call it done.

norcalchris said:
free???....know anybody with free shafts??

I have a pair of shafts for the Dana 35 that you're welcome to have. Don't need them anymore as I have a 44 under the rear now. The only issue is that I live in Las Vegas. If you or a friend is visiting here and wouldn't mind taking back, there yours.

Andy

Back